Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Post a picture of your workbench
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mine is a joke. My modelling table is simply a kitchen. Not much to look at but I guess it gets the job done

Charles, the sun actually comes up in Sweden? Or is this photo like the fake moon landings??

Here's my spot. Stash is in my office closet.

Bob
MeCOwhy
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Mikolaj: This is the false emperor emblem: The Aquila. Your turn now, how many thing can you recognize? :-)

Actually, I'm not an expert on WH 40k. I just like that symbol. I've only painted a couple of space marines, the Inquisitor Artemis and a little horde of WFB greenies I didn't even fought a single battle with these. :-)
But I think I know that wing and sword emblem and your ninja Garfield rocks!

Quoted Text

My stash. There is around 180 models hidden in there

Wow! I wonder will I ever get to that point... Now I am only able to get my hands on one, rarely two kits which instantly land on my bench..

Your workshop looks really great Richard! All the best mate!
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,349 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:52 PM UTC
I always like workbench threads, wether you have 30 square feet or 500 square feet to work with, it always gets down to an area about 18" square that is the only clear spot in the room
HES21
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 288 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 01:13 AM UTC
Thought I'd post my humble area. It's a comfy little place!
Oh, and it's just had an early spring clean!

It's an old desk chock full of stuff!

The current model and the tools for the job:

God that's clean! :-)

Here's the mini stash - stored under the snooker table:

Harry
mstcls
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hey All

Here is my little corner of modeling paradise it is located in our family room. This room is in the process of being renovated so this workspace is just temporary. I have started planning an L shaped bench for this corner after the room is finished. This thread has been a great source of inspiration and my plans have already been changed. Thanks to all who have posted.

WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good for you all having a constant modelling corner. I am more like a renegade. When i poured some enamel paint onto the kitchen floor my mum banned me from every room in the house Now i have to carry on the hobby illegally In the dormitory its better but i cant use anything which stinks. Guys, i really respect your kingdoms

I agree with Arpad. Unfortunately I'm in a similar boat. I tried the kitchen table but it was a real pain in the @$$ cleanining/packing up the few times I tried to build. Next I tried cleaning out a spot in the sub- basement but the evil forces of SWMBO assaulted the area with laundry so it is back under enemy control. :-)
Unfortunately 7 people in in a 3 bedroom house leaves no free space so the quest for a workbench goes on.
zeus60
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 08:53 AM UTC
I love seeing pictures of others' workbenches. Ditto for stashes.

Here's mine.

DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 624 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:02 AM UTC
Wow, alot of great workplaces and benches. Some of you look like you have your own personal hobby store!
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,264 Posts
KitMaker Network: 254 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mine is a joke. My modelling table is simply a kitchen. Not much to look at but I guess it gets the job done

Charles, the sun actually comes up in Sweden? Or is this photo like the fake moon landings??Bob

:-) :-) :-) Oh yes it does Robert. It's worst during summer when it shines almost 24/7 in the north. Where I live the sun goes down around 22.00 in the evening.

BTw, love your modeling area. Very very nice and elegant. Well, when the time is right I'll get me a house but I need someone to share it with
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTw, love your modeling area. Very very nice and elegant. Well, when the time is right I'll get me a house but I need someone to share it with

We claimed some space from our tandem garage a couple of years ago. I really like it. My wife has half the room and I have half, as far as cabinets go. I get the whole L shaped desk. That is my photo area on the left. I used to be in a tiny corner space in a spare bedroom. Nice to be able to spread out now.

Bob
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,500 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 07:43 PM UTC
Not a photo of the actual workarea, but I cleaned out my old build room and began building this in January:

Two work areas, one for me and one for my son plus a dedicated airbrush area on the right side return.

Just about all the framing is done and then the walls begin next weekend, I hope. Its killing me not to be able to work on any kits right now.

The walls are going to be lined with adjustable shelves for kit storage and the on displays will be in the two bookcases at the bottom. Air compressor is going to be in a sound proofed box next to the cases.

I'll try to post some WIP photos soon.

Dave S.

Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 03:03 AM UTC
I have two work areas. I use the dining table to do most of the modelling and detail painting etc, and have an airbrush area in the garage.

Inside looks like this

I'll post photo of airbrush area when i take one.

Cheers

Andy
clovis899
Visit this Community
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:15 PM UTC
Now that I have found how ridiculously easy Jim has made it for me to post photos I may be in trouble. Anyway, here is my work area newly relocated into the closet, although not quite self-contained therein (but close!). I am in the, rather slow, process of redoing the whole hobby room set-up to something a bit more presentable to the world at large. I will be building a set of cabinets to run across the back wall with bookshelfs surrounding a 6' x 4' display case this summer (pray for me).

Rick

P.S. Jim, If you want one of those magnetic bars let me know you can have the one from my old set-up. Drop me a line and I can get it to you at a club meeting or something. Are you planning on going to the Silicon Valley show in April?

Rick
dannyarizona
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 52 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:07 AM UTC
Here's my work space. Once I get my own house (renting now), I will make the nessecary adjust for storage, painting, and display.

Removed by original poster on 02/23/07 - 03:08:15 (GMT).
Phantom2
Visit this Community
Östergötland, Sweden
entire network: 708 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hi All!

Here´s a link to my "Work-bench" tread, Please step into my little kingdom!

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/89905&page=1

There´s some train stuff too, but as i have seen here, I´m not the only railroader among us!

Some pics of my room and the stash;

Workbench and my spraybooth;

Continuing to my right;

Round the corner, more kits and a big cabinet;

To my left I have cabinets and the Magazine library;

For the railroaders among us (and everybody else of course!);

Cheers!

Stefan E
Racedriver25
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 8 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:35 AM UTC
Here are pics of my entire hobby room.

05Sultan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 08:43 PM UTC
This is the pic from last year.Not much has changed,stuff just shoved around a bit differant.Clock still works. :-)

bounce19712
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:59 PM UTC
I'm making a strategic withdrawal from the amateur gunsmithing...and making a hard push to convert the bench to polystyrene endevours...

it wasn't as hard as I thought...all I've got to do now is break out the hobby supplies and organize!

cementshoes
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 04:18 AM UTC
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 05:27 AM UTC
Great thread and there are some absolutely superb workbenches/rooms on view here.
Heres my "under construction" model room.
I only moved into my new house 4 days ago.You can see where my priorities lie :-)
Next job will be a trip to buy some shelving and storage boxes so I can get a bit more organised,but Im just really happy to have a whole room I can use as a den and to be building again after a 3 month break!

Nige
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
Here are a few photos of my (very cluttered) work area:

The main shot.

More of the area and part of my stash.

The other side of the area, also showing off a couple other hobbies, woodworking and PC building.

The area is so cluttered right now because of a major home remodeling project that my wife and I did over the summer/fall. I am finally getting the place cleaned up enough to reach the bench, and soon will start building (but never finishing ) models again.

DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 624 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:39 AM UTC
Racedriver, what Cal. shell is that? I have one with the shell still attached and don't know what size it is.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 07:38 AM UTC
Here's a picture of my very messy workspace (no joke--I tidied up quite a bit for the photo). I have a desk in our small computer room with a makeshift hutch and a short bookcase. The stash is distributed among several closets, the garage, and a trunk in the guest room, in part because I've built it up quite quickly despite having only been back in the hobby for less than a year.

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:46 AM UTC
Interesting thread...

My modelling takes place in two rooms in the house - 3 I suppose if you include when I have to spray in the garage.

Here's where my "real" modelling takes place. The room officially designated as the dining room. However, as we don't actually have a dining room table, it's sort of become a studio/sh*t (store ) room :-)
As you can see I am "priviledged" to have been allocated a corner and some garden furniture to use as my hobby table :-) My supplies are in the grey/black drawers to the right of the picture.

Ok, now onto the virtual modelling... where my humble contribution to the HF team takes place: my study/home office.
This is organised chaos at it's best. Believe it or not I know exactly what's on that desk and on that bookrack. For those old enough to remember, yes, that really is a 14" CRT monitor! :-) The bookcase contains everything from Harry Potter and Asterix to legal and technical manuals and naturally modelling references (the gaps are the missus' doing...she's studying). You'll note the infiltration onto the display shelves of wifey's BC collection :-)

Rudi