_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
help needed to save my project
SK2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 09:59 AM UTC
Does any one know how to make a convex type radar out of styrene or a company that does. After 6 months, $30.00,many cut and glued finger tips later. I still can't come up with anything that looks right.the D.O.D. (aka) the wiffie is threating to cut funds and shut this project down. I need this final peice to finish my 1st scratch attempt .the sj202 radar .the proto-type can be seen in my gallery.the scale is 1/35 I have no measurements as they are not listed anywhere on the net. I'm using figs of the same scale as a base for the build or what looks right compared to the height of the fig. Someone ,any-one pls this is a cry for help. . Thanks n advance sk2
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 02:53 PM UTC

Can you give any idea of dia.....and depth of dish .......got a couple of ideas but need to know what I'm dealing with
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 04:53 PM UTC
Plastruct maks vessel ends in ABS they're the Dished ends you see on horizontal tanks. You might be able to use one as a form for thermoforming a dish.

Search "Dished Head" on thier Site

Sample
http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/OnlineProductDetail.lasso?-op='eq'&CCode=VHD-300
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 09:13 PM UTC
Check various packaging material like blister packs, could be around anything so keep your eyes open, department stores, hardware stores, sport, household you name it.

Another option is to use a hard "ball" to shape thin aluminium sheet around, the smallest bowling ball is probably too big and a billiards ball is probably too small (or maybe not?? worth trying).
Thin aluminium sheet can also be found as packaging for "oven ready" food. Press selected ball against semi-soft surface with sheet metal in between.

Good luck with your project, it looks very ambitious.
/ Robin
SK2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the info the dia. and depth. should be between a billard ball and a golfball.that sounds about right. thanks again sk2
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:40 PM UTC
Have you tried making a wooden mold. Then heating styene and then 'mashing'molding the heated plastic over it?
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:14 PM UTC

Suggest you nip down to the store and get a "tea strainer "---should be about right ---- and trim to size......
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

Removed by original poster on 03/19/09 - 20:18:56 (GMT).
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 05:42 AM UTC
Howdy SK2

I just walked in from work and thought I'd relax a nano sec or two and maybe check the threads.....saw your posting.

Must say, I am incredibly humbled to find that the very first suggestion that crossed my mind is also shared by one of the people here who's work I admire barv.

I have done this with a handheld tea leaf strainer in the past with surprising success. The tea strainer I used was purchased at a place called "Cost Plus" {very similar to Pier One Imports} which had 3 seperate sized tea strainers. The final product was unfortunately marred by the imprint of the tea strainer 'mesh', but in your case the 'mesh' imprint would work in your favour.....
hth

Tread.
SK2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
I will try all of the above suggestions this weekend. I will tell you which idea produced the best results on monday. I can't post pics of my previous attempts my computer is down I am using my sidekick 3 to read and write post at the moment. Once again thanks for your replys. I will keep you posted. Sk2
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 07:58 PM UTC
Howdy SK2,

Sorry to hear that your computer is down, and I don't even know what a "Sidekick" is , But glad you can still stay in touch with us all.....BTW, was wondering if you'd had the time to try out any of this methods?

Let us know, O.K?

Tread.
SK2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy SK2,

Sorry to hear that your computer is down, and I don't even know what a "Sidekick" is , But glad you can still stay in touch with us all.....BTW, was wondering if you'd had the time to try out any of this methods?

Let us know, O.K?

Tread.

I tried the mold method. I put a glass jar in hot water and shape the plastic to conform to the bottom of the jar.didn't like the results. I could not get the shape right. Then I found a plasitc dome shaped fence post (I think that what you call it..it sits on top of the pole from the fence) on the fence of the building next to mine .just kidding it was on the ground. I cut it didn't like the end result .I wanted this to be a complete scratchbuild .but I think I am going to have to go see the local pusher.(M.LH.S)and order from plastruct as I need diffrent sizes to complete some future projects on th tressel board .that's if I can get over this new medical condition I have .its called cerebralprojectitis. That means inflamation of the brain due to .to many projects on the brain at one time. . The sidekick is a call phone with internet access. If I can get to a computer I will post the pics. Sk2
 _GOTOTOP