_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Spray booths
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 08:05 PM UTC
Just been looking at some spray booths and must say why are they so expensive.i would give up the hobbie before id pay the asking price.

Average price around £400 to £800.

oh well back out into the cold shed then
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 08:38 PM UTC
I have a Paasche I bought for $210.00 on ebay. Shipping to the UK would impact the price. It is shipped unassembled.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAASCHE-22-Paint-Spray-Booth-HSSB-22-16-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ110089666514QQihZ001QQcategoryZ28111QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don
CODY614
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 09:43 PM UTC
Take a look at Aircraft Resource Center...
http://aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1/101-200/tnt155_SprayBooth_Glidden/tnt155.htm

Home made....For around $80.00.

Jeff
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 338 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:00 PM UTC
Kind of on topic, guys, I'm in the middle of building my own from wood and ducting. Nobody mentions range hoods, from over a kitchen stove. Since I have one to use, does anyone know if these are safe, or is there a fire hazard associated with them?
Thanks,
Mike
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 262 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:04 PM UTC
I've heard that the fans in range hoods were good choices...after all, they are designed to pull smoke- and grease-laden air. However, I'm no authority on the subject.

Here's mine:

This is an unfinished, pre-built cabinet from Home Depot ($55, maybe less if you can find a damaged one). I added a top (plywood) and a couple small bar lights ($10 each I think). Ventilation is a 12-gal Shop Vac (extra hose, $10 or $15) that vents outside.

The lights aren't perfect, I'll need brighter ones now that I'm starting to get the hang of my airbrush. But it works great, and I can use the Shop Vac for "normal" duties if necessary. Plus I didn't have to rig anything special up for it - i'm no electrician. Periodically I re-paint the insides white for better visibility.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:14 PM UTC
Make Your own Booth

You can make one of your own
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:32 PM UTC
Thanks, Dan, that was my thinking too about the grease-laden air. I'll post pics when done, hopefully tonight or tomorrow. Yours is about the size that I'm looking for.
Thanks as well, Scott, mine will be mostly 1/4" plywood but on top of a shelving unit for bottles, compressors, etc. The missus wants it portable so she doesn't have to look at it while on the elliptical trainer. Guess I'm putting wheels on it.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:56 AM UTC
try this article to get good understanding on spray booth concept
link

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 03:55 PM UTC
Be sure to use Brushless fans if you spray anything but acrylics.........
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 04:43 PM UTC
Mike

I recently had to replace my range hood and thought it would be a great opportunity to get a fan for my yet to be built spray booth.

However when I asked the electrician about using it - he had a look at the motor set up and said it wasn't sparkless, therefore it would be no good for enamels or lacqers. I only use enamels so that stuffed me and my plans for a cheap spray booth.

He said that although the fans are designed to remove fat/oil laden air, they are designed for the concentrations found in cooking and the higher concentrations you would expect from a spray booth could just end up with a BANG.

so I suppose the long and short of this tale is...... if you only intend spraying acrylics then you can probably get away with using a range hood.

Brian
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 05:05 PM UTC
Brian and Matt, I tore my range hood apart and it's definitely not spark-free so that's out the window. I'm headed to the hardware store tonight for something more appropriate as I'm trying to use enamels in the house again!
Ahmad, thanks so much for the cfm calculations- very helpful and I'll use that when designing the hood and ducting system.
HAL0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 98 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 07:29 PM UTC
Karl glad you brought this up was thinking about this yesterday. I would like to build my own as well and don't mean to hijack this thread but a little confused on why you need an explosion proof fan? Now Iam thinking I better not build one or else I'll blow something up Im not really mechanically inclined. Are the safe non exploding fans readily available in the U.S. at local hardware store like Lowes and Home Depot and decently priced compared to a brand new Airbrush Booth? Also do homemade work just as good as the ones from other company like Testors, etc. Thanks

A.J.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 09:43 PM UTC
I picked up a Pair of 6" 120volt Muffin (computer style) fans on Ebay for mine. due to the size (20x24) and Pipe run I needed 2 fans.
George_The_Hun
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 11:08 AM UTC
Guys I have a question about the fan itself. The link Scott Lodder posted and another modeler I talked to on another site said that if you use enamel or other flammable paints dont use a bathroom ceiling fan or similar device. You need a fire-safe fan, those are $120+ Does anyone have experience using a home made box with enamels? I would think that if the fumes are flammable the spark form a light cutting on would also cause a fire
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 12:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Take a look at Aircraft Resource Center...
http://aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1/101-200/tnt155_SprayBooth_Glidden/tnt155.htm

Home made....For around $80.00.

Jeff

This link might work better ARC SbrayBooth Page

Mine is similar to Gareth Phua's & I spent about usd$2.60!
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 11:15 AM UTC
Wow can't believe I made this thread over 8 years ago
Still do not own a spray booth and you can pick them up now for around £60 to £70.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 11:53 AM UTC
Well, I guess you can't keep a good thread down.

I've got a blower out of a Christmas yard decoration, it's not exactly brush-less, but the motors and fan blades are in separate compartments. I also salvaged a turn table out of the same ornament so I can power that up too. Now I just need to build a boot to house it all in.
Removed by original poster on 03/05/15 - 07:39:31 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 03/05/15 - 07:39:45 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP