History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Historical Books - what to do with them
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:44 PM UTC
A coworker who volunteers at a thrift store has come across two very old books and wants to get some feedback on what to do with them. She would like them to be put to the best use/collection possible. I offered all of your help in giving her an opinion.
The books are
Mein Kampf 1933 Edition In Original German.
Mein Kampf 1933 Edition in Original German.
One has a tissue covered image of Adolph Hitler in the front. Both are in decent condition, aged and yellowed, the worse thing is that the title sheet original cover has been removed leving just a hard stock cover with no title on it. Probably removed to get rid of a swastica.
We found a couple of references where these books go for $400 - 800.
I know pricewise it's hard to estimate without seeing them, but any insight would be appreciated.

Just wondering what she should do with them
1. Sell them at the thrift store (dirt cheap)
2. Donate them to a museum
3. Sell them to a collector
4. Sell them to one of you
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A coworker who volunteers at a thrift store has come across two very old books and wants to get some feedback on what to do with them. She would like them to be put to the best use/collection possible. I offered all of your help in giving her an opinion.
The books are
Mein Kampf 1933 Edition In Original German.
Mein Kampf 1933 Edition in Original German.
One has a tissue covered image of Adolph Hitler in the front. Both are in decent condition, aged and yellowed, the worse thing is that the title sheet original cover has been removed leving just a hard stock cover with no title on it. Probably removed to get rid of a swastica.
We found a couple of references where these books go for $400 - 800.
I know pricewise it's hard to estimate without seeing them, but any insight would be appreciated.

Just wondering what she should do with them
1. Sell them at the thrift store (dirt cheap)
2. Donate them to a museum
3. Sell them to a collector
4. Sell them to one of you

Easy question to answer, sell them to me for an incredibly cheap price.
armorjunior
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 263 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 09:15 AM UTC
i'd Take one!!!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:34 PM UTC
Well, Scott your Buddies on the Armor Forum solved your freind dilemma. Let me know when you want my mailing address.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:25 PM UTC
Definitely do some research, you'd be shocked at some of the prices items of Hitler's or other German items from WWII can fetch these days.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 04:41 AM UTC
Howdy Scott,

Doing my best to avoid the selfish 'knee-jerk' reaction of wanting it for myself because of it's possible value, I would highly recommend your coworker take their time and begin a process of contacting historically appropriate museums around the world {easy enough to do now because of the Web} and inviting, and gauging their interest in obtaining these books.

Or, failing that, and considering the subject matter of the book and it's potential socio/political 'energy'. Your friendly volunteer might consider auctioning it on EBay {if this is allowed} and donating the proceeds generated by the sale of the books to an organization that supports survivors of the unique philosophy contained within it's pages. This in an effort to maybe exact some small ironic justice?

....just a thought.

Tread.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 05:53 AM UTC
Find the nearest library with an archive or special collections and donate one of them to it. The other, find the nearest museum that has a relevant (permanent) exhibit on WWII and donate the other to it. I don't have a problem with private collections, but it seems that far too many rare items are rat-holed into them and the public,(who can glean some insight from these items) never get to see them....or learn a valuable lesson that is applicable to the future from them. I could go on, but I won't. Just do not advise the friend to sell them. They can serve a far better cause in the form of education than they can monetary gain.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 05:58 PM UTC
Good news bad news guys.
Bad news IS the good news, and they have found a home.

A local historian/collector who is 110% into WWII era history came forward (to my friend directly outside here) and made an offer she could not refuse. Part of which was to ensure it would add to a collection and take care of for the historic significance it holds.

I do appreciate the offers and advice.