History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer
james_mcdougall_85
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 02:01 AM UTC
Hello everybody, just finished reading the Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. I was interested in the fighting that took place in Prussia, especially the battle of Memel.

Does anybody recomend any books dealing with this theate of the war and is there any other books like Guy Sajers about the eastern front.

Cheers

Jamie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:54 PM UTC
Jamie--- I don't know anything about the Eastern Front. Names are too confusing, but you might want to consult books by David Glantz. He is a great writer and more knowledgeable about the Eastern FRont than any other person I read. It seems I recall doing an "ask.com" check on Sajer and came up with several interesting sites. You can read one that tells you he is full of doggie doo and never went to Russia as claimed. Another will tell you the story is a composite and there was one that said his tale was true. He seems to have gone through a remarkable amount of combat which was not unusual for German soldiers. So, you might want ot surf the internet for additional details. I know of no other books written by him.
DJ
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:58 PM UTC
You may want to Google that book's title too.
There is quite a bit of controversy surrounding the authenticity of that book.
But it was a bloody great read either way
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 06:14 PM UTC
The debate is pretty well summarised here:

Sajer

The book reads like it was compiled from memory without recourse to a diary or conversation with old comrades. As to whether it's authentic or not, I have no idea but it isn't flagrantly wrong.

David
psilocyber
Visit this Community
Nordland, Norway
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 06:20 PM UTC
I also love books like that,,,in norwegian (too bad for you:)) there is a lot of books written by norwegian volunteers experiencing heavy battles,,I also find a lot of books in english,, (amazon.com) the one title on an english book coming to mind is "blood red snow" the memoirs of an eastern front machine gunner...
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 06:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sajer
As to whether it's authentic or not, I have no idea but it isn't flagrantly wrong.
David

The question of it being an accurate reflection of the eastern front (or fragrantly rong) was never questioned - simply that Guy published it as an autobiography and has come under much scrutiny from historians and other veterans alike.

One of the most scrutunised parts is where he states that he sews his G.D title to left sleeve - other G.D vet's swear that is something you would never get wrong!!

Regardless of the controversy it is an excellent read and I can suggest another two books similar in nature:

james_mcdougall_85
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 07:31 PM UTC
Those books look pretty interesting, I'll look into them when I'm finished reading my current book.

I've just started reading James Megellas "All the way to Berlin". Its pretty good so I will read this first before moving back to the eastern front.

Regards

Jamie
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 07:41 PM UTC
I enjoyed Campaign in Russia by Leon DeGrelle, he was the Belgian who served in the Walloon detachment of the waffen SS.interesting account
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The debate is pretty well summarised here:

Sajer

The book reads like it was compiled from memory without recourse to a diary or conversation with old comrades. As to whether it's authentic or not, I have no idea but it isn't flagrantly wrong.

David

David-- that is the site I recall reading sometime ago. The author concludes that Sajer was real. Once again, regardless (fact or fiction) it is a captivating book. Glantz does a marvelous job in his books on the Russian front. I could never get into it like the other aspects of WW II that I read about. Different strokes for different folks.
Enjoy
DJ
james_mcdougall_85
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 08:35 PM UTC
Has anybody read "With our backs to Berlin" by Tony Le Tissier . I thought it was really good. I am also thinking of buying one of the big books like 'Stalingrad' or "Berlin: the downfall 1945".

I guess there are so many books to read and not enough time .

Jamie
:-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anybody read "With our backs to Berlin" by Tony Le Tissier . I thought it was really good. I am also thinking of buying one of the big books like 'Stalingrad' or "Berlin: the downfall 1945".

Jamie

Jamie-- are they Bevin's books? If so, I thought they were fantastic. Could not put them down.
DJ
james_mcdougall_85
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jamie

Jamie-- are they Bevin's books? If so, I thought they were fantastic. Could not put them down.
DJ

Is that Bevin Alexander your meaning? I don't think it is, this one was written by Tony Le Tissier, a Lt-Col who served with the British Army's Royal Corps of Military Police.

Is there any Bevin Books that you recommend?

Jamie
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jamie

DJ

Is that Bevin Alexander your meaning? I don't think it is, this one was written by Tony Le Tissier, a Lt-Col who served with the British Army's Royal Corps of Military Police.

Jamie

Anthony Beevor

David
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jamie

DJ

Jamie

Anthony Beevor

David

How did I screw that one up? I should have said BEEVOR. My bad.
DJ
james_mcdougall_85
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:40 PM UTC
Ah I understand the mistake, Antony Beever is the author of Berlin: The Downfall 1945.

Jamie