_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
February's British Bulldog Model of the Month
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 02:04 PM UTC
This is February's British Bulldog Model of the Month thread.
The rules.
1 - Only I.P.M.S British Bulldog members can enter.
2 - Any model of any scale and genre can be entered.
3 - There is no time limit on when the model was completed, so new and old builds are welcome.
4 - One picture must be uploaded to the contest gallery. No text should be added to accompany the picture. The picture should be named what the model depicts.
5 - 3 photos and a history of the build can be added to this thread. A link to another build thread is allowed.
6 - Only one entry per member is allowed a month.
7 - The gallery will be open until the 16th of the month for entries.
8 - Voting will commence on the 17th of the month.
9 - The top 3 winners will be asked (nicely) to submit a photo feature or a build review of the winning models.
Any entries not conforming to the rules will be deleted.
The gallery can be found here - Bulldogs MOM February 07
Any problems or questions please feel free to P.M me.
Good luck everyone.
Andy
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 02:25 PM UTC
Rodens 1/72 PKZ-2 W.W.1 helicopter.
It is one of the most fiddly, fragile and hardest kits i have ever built. Nearly every part broke trying to get it off the sprue, and the thing is so lopsided and difficult to handle without breaking even more bits, a few swear words were used during construction . Then after I bought it I found out Eduard did one in 1/48 scale DOH.
A bit of history .
During the final months of W.W.1 , the Austro-Hungarian Army's Major Stephan Petrochy assisted by Theodore von Karman and Vilem Zurovec, designed a radical motorized flying machine to replace the dangerous hydrogen-filled balloons then being used to observe enemy positions. Their odd, triangular contraption with counter-rotating propellers ultimately made 30 successful tethered test flights before the project was cancelled. Although never operational, the PKZ-2 was, in fact, the world's first true helicopter, and the only helicopter to fly during W.W.1.
Andy

And just to see how small this thing is, standard Tamiya and Revell paint tins .
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 06:59 PM UTC
Heres my February entry.
PM Models Sea Fury 1:72
This was built for the Suez Campaign on Armorama.(still waiting for the ribbon btw)
I aimed to depict the aircraft as it would have looked operating in the harsh Egyptian climate.
When I saw how the kit was coming together I began to regret going for a nmf,as it became an exercise in using filler but eventually it got to the painting stage.
The kits built oob apart from scratch built exhausts.Various shades of Alclad were used for the panels.The white bands with green edges were masked and sprayed,the insigia is decals.After a heavy panel line wash of burnt umber I misted on a coat of 90% thinners 10% Tamiya buff to blend everything together and add to the general dusty look.
Finally the leading edges of the wings were polished back to a shiny nmf using a sanding stick and the jobs done.

Good luck everyone!
Nige
camogirl
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,045 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 01:07 AM UTC
My entry this month is Sol's Battle Angel Altia 'Angel Rebirth', those of you that went to Milton Keynes would have seen her on the stand. Really enjoyed building this kit, she is 1/6 scale and a resin kit.
A build feature can be found here

Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 02:10 AM UTC
My entry for this month is Verlinden's 120mm USN Pilot. The kit is all resin and comes in 7 parts, Construction was easy and the figure was entirely hand painted with Humbrol paints whilst the flesh was done with artist oils. The helmet markings were spare decals from a Hasegawa 1/48 Tomcat kit and the squadron patches were hand painted. Enjoy and good luck everyone

barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 03:46 AM UTC

My submission ---Trojan AEV ------new into service with the Royal Engineers---counter obstacle vehicle ----(A diggy-grabby -beast :-) )

Built on the Challenger 2 running gear -(Airfix/Trummpeter kit)-with all above the track line scratch built. from pictures only . Plastic card mainly and Evergreen rods with brass pins and rubber-coated cord for pipes

Build is on
[url]https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/90328&page=1[/utl]
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 03:27 PM UTC
this kit is a roden 1/72 scale, built over the space of 2 years owing to it being a frustrating build and useless decals. the original kit lozenge was replaced by a pegasus after market sheet, rigging is fine fishing line

Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 01:09 AM UTC
Heres mine for Feb
It's the 1/4 scale Boba Fett from Screamin
I built this mmmmmm...years ago :-) it's a hollow vinyl kit filled with car body filler and plaster finished with Humbrol and Tamiya paints
The badges were hand painted onto decal paper,the cape was out of the rag bin at work and the blonde "Wookie" braide is a cutting from my neice's hair :-) :-) (she diddn't miss it, much,and you can't see the patch anymore :-) :-) :-) )
The wee fig at the base is a 1/35 German tanker,to show how BIG this is,

Hope you like
Andy

Bigskip
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:30 PM UTC
I've gone for Small

1:72nd Scale Hummer Gun Truck Dragon Kit 2* Hummers in one Box

Andy