JADAR HOBBY
vladgothic
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 03:32 AM UTC
hey all

i have just discovered the jadar hobby website.

http://www.jadarhobby.waw.pl

there is nothing spectacular about the prices, standard sort of rate, but what did grab me was the layout and ease of the design within the website. it is so easy and with a photo accompanying each article, with also a description.

now if only some other sites could follow the same obviously enthusiastic approach.

impressed!!!

vlad
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 03:37 AM UTC
I like Jadar. They have a good range and they ship cheap. I've ordered maybe half a dozen times with no problems.
vladgothic
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 04:12 AM UTC
hi pat

thats good to know, i was quite interested they offer a range of reference books too.

may just be inclined to part with some cash

vlad
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 01:44 PM UTC
Vlad, I've been buying from them for a year or two now (I even visited them when I was in Warsaw) and a couple of comments about them:

Firstly, their service is EXCELLENT. Secondly, as a source of reference material, not only are they good, but if you compare prices you are looking at a differential of (at least) 50% on prices in the U.K. As the Polish publishers, IMO, amongst the best on the planet, you'll find some invaluable mterial.

Now, a couple of drawbacks. When you go the final process in the check-out, you're given TWO options for postage. Choose the MOST expensive one (unless you're NOT in a hurry) it isn't too expensive, but well worth it...

Postage from Jadar, is, IMO, a little high sometimes. However, what you save on U.K./E.C. prices MORE than compensates...
MeCOwhy
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 02:55 PM UTC
You would laugh if you saw the place where the shop is. I call it "the red-light district" of Warsaw. There are a couple of ugly pavillions right in the center of the city and most of the shops there are... sexshops :-)

Jadar is a tiny little dime store stuffed with merchandise up to the ceiling, and the most interesting thing about it is the deifferences in prices between the internet store and the actual shop in Dzielna street. I visited them in December and bought an Academy M1025 HMMWV and PE from Eduard for this one. The kit cost me about 17$ and the PE about 13$. When I got home I looked these up on their website and the prices were: 12$ for the kit and almost 18$ for PE!

I know the language bareer might be a serious problem but I'd recommend visiting the largest Polish auction portal in search of modelling supplies. Just follow this link. You can find some marvelous stuff here and the prices are sometimes quite surprising. Some of the people there agree to ship their merchandise outside Poland. If you needed help with translating something from Polish into English don't hesitate, I'll help every time I'm able to.

Cheers,
Mikolaj
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You would laugh if you saw the place where the shop is. I call it "the red-light district" of Warsaw. There are a couple of ugly pavillions right in the center of the city and most of the shops there are... sexshops

Yes - Jadar is right between two of them. I must admit to being a bit surprised when I was taken there by Pawel (Vodnik). I really was beginning to wonder where the hell we were.... :-)
vladgothic
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 04:20 AM UTC
jim and mikolaj

i must send you both a huge thank you for such an informative and in depth reply, the refernce material is gonna be my principle hit first i think, this being my weak point, and i must agree with your comments jim the ref material is supurb.

mikolaj, thank you for the offer of help that is most kind of you, i am sure i will take you up on that one.

vlad
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 09:14 AM UTC
I know HobbyEasy and other online shops will source various things from Jadar. Most recently I ordered some Armorscale barrels that arrived via Airmail...the funny thing about it is that the value of the package was only about $15 USD but because it was a small envelope, from Poland, and marked with the Airmail stamps, the local post office wouldn't deliver the letter to my mailbox and instead required I go to the station to pick it up. They had it locked up in their safe and the explanation given was that those typically contain valuables such as jewelry or cash, so they took those precautions. You should've seen the look on their faces when I opened it and showed them the contents... :-)
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 01:22 PM UTC
One thing I forgot to mention - the 'real' bargains (apart from the books) at Jadar are ABER, ARMO and Part (update sets and decals). In books, Trojca, Kagero, Militaria Publishing, Pegaz and the Armor Photo gallery series...
MeCOwhy
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hi all,

I took a look at my old bookmarks I found in the depths of my hdd and I found a link to De Ygrek. Unfortunately they don't have an English version of their website but my jaw just dropped when I compared some of their prices to Jadar's offer. I think that 15$ makes a difference when talking about a 40$ kit

I think I'll give it a try and write a short tutorial for English speakers wanting to buy stuff from Polish stores online. I think that in most cases it would be enough just to know where to click to get to the stuff you're looking for, and how to contact the shop's staff. I think that most shop owners would be interested in selling their merchandise outside Poland, even if their websites aren't prepared for foreign buyers.
vladgothic
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 06:07 PM UTC
hi mikolaj

i have just checked out the link you have posted and i must agree on the prices, i tested a couple of dragon prices and they are coming out much cheaper, conversely the tamiya kubel was over £40 plus p+p of course!!

the way things are starting to look i may just start shopping in poland

and jim

Quoted Text

One thing I forgot to mention - the 'real' bargains (apart from the books) at Jadar are ABER, ARMO and Part (update sets and decals). In books, Trojca, Kagero, Militaria Publishing, Pegaz and the Armor Photo gallery series...

its information like this that would take me for ever to realise, so many thanks for sharing with us.

vlad
 _GOTOTOP