_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Anyone use ebay to buy kits here??
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hey all
I've been browsing ebay recently hunting for a bargain...and just wondered if anyone uses ebay as a way to purchase kits n things. I've made one purchase although not to do with this hobby (well not really....I've bought a paper from 1945) but have noticed that bargains seem to be few and far between on ebay. Usually bids go to equal or sometimes above retails costs so i don't see much point. Unless of course your looking for something particular....i've been looking around for an italeri 1/35 marder III for ages as i have a pe set for it.

maybe i'm looking for the wrong things.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:47 AM UTC
I have before - last year mostly - but not so much lately. I've been able to find better deals from internet retailers, and I've gotten a hold of most of the rare and odd items from e-Bay that I wanted. If you're looking for something unusual or out-of-production, I've found success with e-Bay.

Gunnie
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:51 AM UTC
Sure, all the time. I've bought hundreds of kits on ebay and have even sold one or two. My user ID is rgronovius. Been using it since late 1996/early 1997.
JPeiper
Visit this Community
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:51 AM UTC
Yes. I have quite a bit recently. In general, the experience has been positive.

I would also say that you can often find better bargains thru Squadron or Great Models.
Be very careful about postage that the ebay seller is charging. You may find a good deal and then be over charged for postage!

I did get a great deal on my opti-visor and high intensity lamps at ebay.

Caveat Emptor, bro!

Keith
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:54 AM UTC
I have done several purchases as well as sales on Ebay. It was worked real well for me. I purchase mainly out of production items or hard to find items.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:59 AM UTC
I buy things on Ebay all of the time. Have had nothing but good luck. Do keep an eye on the shipping costs.
The "pro built" models usually tickle me. The phrase "don't quit your day job" often comes to mind.
boosahmer
Visit this Community
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:21 PM UTC
I have bought/sold many items on ebay. When buying models or aftermarket items, like several have said before, watch the shipping charges. If you are patient, you can get good deals. For instance, I got a Famo and trailer for just over $100 (incl shipping)! Lots of oddball stuff also, at great prices. You just have to know when to "pounce" on a bargain.

Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:24 PM UTC
I've bougth some reenactment stuff recently but have not done much with models of late. Many dealers are opening their bids at retail and maybe even above that. You see alot of the same kits fromt he same guys. Are they not selling and being relisted? Get a clue, dealer, anyone savvy enoughto go to e-bay can go to any full time dealer and get as good a deal or better. That said, I have gotten a few deals on unusual items and been pleased almost all teh time. Then there was that "rocketeer girl in 120 mm...some of the most amateurish scuplting I've ever seen!
JPeiper
Visit this Community
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:29 PM UTC
I see the same guys trying to sell the same stuff at the same prices. It is really quite funny.
I saw one supposed "Hobby Store" selling PE and other aftermarket stuff with the tag line, "... my boss say's we have to get rid of this...". The particular aber PE set I was watching was selling for a buck less on Great Models. And, this was a repeated listing!
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:38 PM UTC
When I list a plastic kit I start bidding at about 50% of retail, but put the buy-it-now fairly close to discounted retail That usually brings a fair price, but if someone really wants it I get almost retail for it. Then, as for shipping, I charge a little more than postage, as I like to use round dollars, but that covered envelopes and stuff, but many times I will combine shipping for multiple items.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:47 PM UTC
I did a LOT of business as a reseller on Ebay (KFMagee) at one time. I found that most people were pretty honest, and i always through in "kickers" to make my offerings different. Instead of just putting in a Tamiya Tank, i would also include the Aber etched kit made for it. And if priceing EXCEEDED retail, then i always included a bonus item (ie, sheet of resin road, or perhaps some figures). I also set my freight at the maximum zone rate (Dallas to Maine), so that regardless of who won, the freight was a known factor. i stopped selling frequeently because I spent too much modeling time on paperwork... besides, i sell more live at local shows.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I buy things on Ebay all of the time. Have had nothing but good luck. Do keep an eye on the shipping costs.
The "pro built" models usually tickle me. The phrase "don't quit your day job" often comes to mind.

Be easy on some of these people. They are probably moms who are clearing out a son's dresser tops and shelves. If my mom was an ebayer, she'd probably list some of my crappy kits from high school as "professionally built". Heck she loved that PT Cruiser Army Staff Car I did an article on and wanted me to build her one.
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:12 PM UTC
I have bought many things on eBay. I recently started purchasing model kits.

Four pointers:

1. Be patient - don't just bid on something without first seeing if there are others of the same item you are looking for. (Use search) I just saw someone purchase an item that was being bid up probably by the seller's friends, that was being sold by someone else in another week, in better condition with a "buy it now" for much less than what it was sold for in that first auction. Shipping wasroughly the same on both.

2. Check the seller's feedback and don't buy from someone if they have several negative comments or haven't sold more than 50 items. (I find sellers who have sold at least that much have the shipping routine down and will do it quickly)

3. Check shipping costs. Many charge actual shipping, some inflate it and add "handling" charges

4. Finally, a rule I am starting to follow as it concerns models, only buy sealed kits

I agree with everyone else that you could find most of the items for less at distributors or even retailers. eBay is great when you are loking for items that are no longer in production - e.g. Tamiya Tiger I Initial Production release

GR8Voyager

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:23 PM UTC
The only thing I can add to what everybody else has said here is don't buy something because you think you'll never see one again. Recently I saw an picture of HMS Hood autographed by one of her three survivors. I thought I just HAD to have it but I just didn't have the funds. Two weeks later I saw three more of the exact same thing, autograph included. Plus they were less expensive to boot. The thing I've found about ebay is that eventually EVERYTHING winds up there.

kingcrt
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 118 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:30 PM UTC
When buying on ebay know the prices of what you are bidding on. I have seen several kits sell well above retail prices that most online shops sell the same kit. It pays to know what you are shopping for. Most of the kits the kits I have purchased have all been in vert good condition any many of were sealed kits.
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 12:50 AM UTC
I'll chime in too - since discovering the wonders of ebay, my (unbuilt) collection has blossomed by several hundred kits. What I found was that buying the kits in lots often kept the shipping costs down, as well as being able to spread the cost of the kits to be reasonable. Of course, it all depends on being able to find a lot that includes what you want, and that you're willing to plonk the money for some 5 kits at a time.

Mika Harviala
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC
I have bought a lot of things off of ebay. Lately, things have not been that good for the picking. The good deals are getiing fewer and far between. When I do finally see a good deal several people bid it up or the Kamakaze bidder comes in a scoops it at the last second.

I also agree about the excessive shipping and handling. That will also make a good deal bad.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 03:12 AM UTC
I do the ebay routine. I don't as much ever since the USPS upped thier rates. I have also noticed a larger percentage of Virtual Stores using ebay. I don't even consider anything with the 'buy it now' option. Most are VS's and I can go and support Armorama Advertisers for cheaper.
I will go through and have anywhere from10 - 30 things on watch and toss out a bid here or there. The bidding wars do drive things up. I never bid unless I research the retail price and know I can get a deal. Why bother?? Go get it retail.

I've never been burned by a model sale on ebay.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the Kamakaze bidder comes in a scoops it at the last second.

Those are often done by sniping applications that automatically bid in the last fewe seconds of an auction. Despicable things!
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:45 AM UTC
I have bought several figure kits on Ebay. For example; Verlindens 120mm, US Airborne General.

When I buy from Ebay, I only buy from sellers with good reputation.
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

the Kamakaze bidder comes in a scoops it at the last second.

Those are often done by sniping applications that automatically bid in the last fewe seconds of an auction. Despicable things!

That's the first I have heard of that type of application. It would make sense that people use it because their timing is good...A little too good.
cdave
Visit this Community
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 06:49 AM UTC
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi all
I use ebay for buying different thingssuch as martial arts videos, kits,cb radio equipment etc.I once got the revell 1:32 AH64 apache for £7.50 (approx $12) inc p & p.
As others have said it pays to know what the retail is on the kit/item you are after.
As for last minute bidders i lost a trumpeter 1:32 A10 like that.some one bid with 2 mins left and i was at work.I could have saved £30 (approx $45) on the Uk price.Needless to say i was not impressed.
Regards
Peter
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:48 AM UTC
I have bought a couple of kits on ebay. The good thing about ebay is that you can find OOP stuff. Just be cautious and read someone's feedback before bidding on stuff. I have sold several NASCAR items and several built kits there. I think ebay is a great tool if you use your head.

Patrick
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 216 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 12:33 PM UTC
Well it seems many people have and do use ebay. Thanks all on your advise. One thing I have noticed is that on the Australian ebay (ebay.com.au) the starting bids for most kits are usually just a couple of dollars below retail. Thus when taking into account the postage doesn't make much of a saving when compared to buying from a store. When compared to the US ebay I must say that things are poles apart. Even when taking into account the exchange rate (currently the Aussie dollar is trading well at around US60c) most kits are going for what I'd consider to be a good price. I have bid on a OOP kit that is a few days away from being completed. As you all have said though it's the postage to watch out for....I've got a quote that it'd cost $16US to ship it to me on success. This really does change things a bit and reduces my maximum bid alot. I can certainly see where the sense in bulk buying comes into play.

fingers crossed
 _GOTOTOP