History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Legends.... What makes them?
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:03 PM UTC
Richthofen, Nungesser, Guynemer, Rickenbacker, Luke, Ball, Bishop, Bader, Bong, Galland, Hartmann, Marseille, Kozhedub, Pokryshkin.....
Is the time long gone for legends to be made in the air or on the ground?
Like Hartmann who never lost a wingman in 1456 missions, Marseille who scored 17 Kills in one day, Rudorffer's 13 kills in 17 minutes.
And what about Michael Wittman and Villers-Bocage, Ernst Barkmann's Le Lorey also known as Barkmann's Corner, where he destroyed approximately nine Sherman tanks and many other various vehicles.... And, how many have heard of Staff Sergeant Lafayette G Pool? Will we ever see the likes again?
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 01:32 AM UTC
Hopefully we will not see the likes again, on account of this sort of legendary behaviour occurs during wars, which in my book are a bad thing.

I know that i model wartime subjects, and am in awe and have the deepest respect for those who have and still put their lives on the line for our way of life. But i'd prefer it if they did not have to.

In my book anyone who is wiulling to put their life on the line for someone else is a hero - be it in the armed forces, the police/fire service - or the voluntary services such as lifeboat men and mountain rescue.

Heres to the heros - unsung as well as sung