Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Best souvenir?
watson
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 10:33 AM UTC
While going thru my uncles attic a few years after his death, i found an old duffle bag from WWII with my uncles name on it jammed behind a bunch of crap, i opened it up and dumped it out on the floor of the attic and out falls a German army pistol holster complete with a late war P-38 Grey ghost with Nazi markings, after a little cleaning i was able to shoot it
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 02:24 PM UTC
i dont necessarily have any hand me downs from family or friends. i do have a collection of ww2 rifles that i have purchased over the years including an enfiled no4 mk 1, german K98, and a russian M44.. other than that, when going overseas doing joint ops with other armies, i traded one of my marine covers with a canadian marine. only thing other than that was the coins and money i have collected from all the places i have been. one of which is from sierra leone after the evacuation of the US embassy there in 98
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 491 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 01:16 AM UTC
When I was in Iraq I took two laminated pieces of wood from one of Saddam Hussein's palaces. The palace was bombed out, and we were doing some snooping. One is about a foot tall, trapezoidal in shape, and very ornate. It's like fancy panelling. My favorite is round, about the size of a DVD and has Saddam's initials in Arabic. I got an AK47 bayonnet and an Iraqi helmet. (Found, not captured) I have a Japanese rifle that my wife's grandfather got in the Philippines.