History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Favorite battlefield
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 850 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 02:31 AM UTC
Here's a few pictures from a Google search, I have my own somewhere...

One of the bunkers, complete with intact(ish) gun:

Observation bunker near the cliff:

Overall view, facing north-west:

Dave
Davester444
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 02:47 AM UTC
Found my pics from Longues. Here's the best one:

Dave
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
Dave-- that's it!
Thanks
DJ
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 06:31 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

"Favourite" battlefield huh?.......I have a small handful of battle engagement locations whose history I am fond of reading about, but having just one for me is probably impossible.
I will say this though, I am most familiar with Gettysburg....reason?...I used to fly heli-tours of that particular battlefield wayyyy back in the early 80's. So my opinion is a bit coloured I suppose....

To name-drop a few I'd like to visit and camp out overnight just to feel the place, {something I've done at Gettysburg with astonishing results!] I would have to say in no particular order; Rourke's Drift, Alamo Mission, and Thermopylae.
I'm sure there are others, but my mind is a bit out of fuel at the moment I must confess.

Tread.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 07:17 AM UTC
DJ,
I have read your post with interest and will add my favorite battlefields too... But first, we visited a portion of the Maginot when I was in Germany in 1992 and seem to remember that it was close to Verdun as that was our second stop for the day. The Maginot Line fortress was impressive and the tour included a trolley ride and walking tour inside as well as a demonstration of the turret workings on the outside. This portion of the line was the site of a German assault, either just prior to the capitulation of France or just after. I guess that the Germans had to demonstrate that they did not have to go around the ML but could have penetrated it if the wanted to... Note to self, the 88mm gun does penetrate concrete emplacements.

OK, favorite battlefields:
- Gettysburg - had some great guides who brought the battle to life
- Fort Pulaski at Savannah as well as Forts Sumter & Moultrie in Charleston - the highs and lows or the Union trying to capture coastal fortifications of the Third System as well as following forts/batteries of the Endicott period.
- Verdun - the "moonscape" from artillery is incredible as well as the French fortresses
- The site where Audie Murphy won his MOH... Great times as 3ID paid for the trip to the Maginot Line, Verdun & Strasbourg
C[ ]

Finally, the firing points/ford sites along the Imjin as well as Glouster Ridge where some very brave Soldiers from England, Belgium and Luxembourg tried to blunt the attacks of a whole bunch of Chinese...

John
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 02:44 PM UTC
For me with not having been able to visit Europe it would be Okinawa.

I remember going on unit tours to see "Hacksaw Ridge" and being able to explore the many caves and machine gun nests. ( it was not uncommon to find different artifacts including on many occasions japanese grenades! ) I also remember looking at the terrain and thinking "how in the hell could you fight in this stuff?"

I was also admittedly impressed with the fortifications and circumstances of the Japanese forces. I was able to visit the "hospital cave" and numerous bunkers and fortifications such as Shuri Castle.

There was also a Japanese supply ship sank by bombers within stones-throw off the beach on Camp Kinser which you could walk out to during low tide. It was notorious for trapping drunk Marines when the tide came in and getting you in a heap of trouble!

The island of Okinawa as a whole would be my favorite battlefield for it's many diverse areas and rich history
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 03:04 PM UTC
Going slightly less far afield

Both Colchester and London were burnt by Boudica, and the podium of the temple of Claudius where the Roman colonists made their last stand is now part of the castle. Sacking the town left a burnt horizon which can be seen in the cellar of a pub on the High Street (this was shown on a BBC programme about Boudica, but the presenters managed to point out the wrong layer :-) )

Of course London is still marked by the Blitz and splinter damage can be spotted all over the place (and even earlier damage too, one of the lions next to Cleopatra's Needle still shows marks from a Gotha raid in 1917). All Hallows by the Tower last year still retains dribbles of lead that resulted from the roof melting during a very destructive raid that burnt out a lot of the east of the City of London.

Many years ago while I was digging in Swansea we came across a layer of ash from the raids of February 1941.

David
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 06:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Going slightly less far afield

Both Colchester and London were burnt by Boudica, and the podium of the temple of Claudius where the Roman colonists made their last stand is now part of the castle. Sacking the town left a burnt horizon which can be seen in the cellar of a pub on the High Street (this was shown on a BBC programme about Boudica, but the presenters managed to point out the wrong layer :-) )

Of course London is still marked by the Blitz and splinter damage can be spotted all over the place (and even earlier damage too, one of the lions next to Cleopatra's Needle still shows marks from a Gotha raid in 1917). All Hallows by the Tower last year still retains dribbles of lead that resulted from the roof melting during a very destructive raid that burnt out a lot of the east of the City of London.

Many years ago while I was digging in Swansea we came across a layer of ash from the raids of February 1941.

David

David-- now that would be cool to see. Some years ago I went to Churchill's underground command post and as I recall their was a vessel tied up in the Thames (HMS Belfast?). Did you ever go to the museum on American WW II aircraft. I believe it opened recently to commemorate the 8th Air Force's contribution to the defeat of Germany.
DJ
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 06:26 PM UTC
Pubs and history are a great combination, when I was working in Pembrokeshire back in the 90s we used to go the pub in Fishguard where in 1797 the surrender of the last invasion of mainland Britain was signed (Fishguard was also where they filmed the Orson Welles version of Moby Dick BTW).

I haven't been to the American Air Museum museum at Duxford yet, but being nearby means we get to see the Sally B from time to time

Sally B

On one memorable day she flew over the supermarket carpark where we going to shop, followed by the French-owned B-17 Pink Lady.

David
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 01:05 AM UTC
Duxford. How far is that out of London?
Davester444
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 01:17 AM UTC
Depends on which part of London you're going from. From the middle, around Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square etc it's about 50 miles/80 kilometers by road (according to Google Earth )

Dave
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Depends on which part of London you're going from. From the middle, around Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square etc it's about 50 miles/80 kilometers by road (according to Google Earth )

Dave

Dave-- we are planning a trip to Europe in the Fall of this year. I am adding Duxford to my places to see list. My Wife wants to see Scotland so we are going through Heathrow then enroute to the continent for the Somme and Vimy. Let's stay in touch and if the stars align meet at Duxford ot some other convenient location,,,Bovington?
DJ
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 01:52 PM UTC
DJ - the nearest city to Duxford is Cambridge. The field originated as a WW1 airbase, so it was originally out in the countryside, but now the M11 runs past it. Duxford's own website claims to be 50 miles from London

Duxford

David
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 05:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ - the nearest city to Duxford is Cambridge. The field originated as a WW1 airbase, so it was originally out in the countryside, but now the M11 runs past it. Duxford's own website claims to be 50 miles from London

Duxford

David

David-- looks like a superb museum. Added to my itinerary.
thanks
DJ
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:22 AM UTC
In Europe I've been to Dachau and wandered through large sections of the Siegfried line. I really regret not seeing Verdun . Been to Berlin as well, but of course everything except the church was torn down and rebuilt

Stateside been to Gettysburg, Petersburg, Chattanooga, Franklin, Atlanta, Vicksburg and several small battlefields in Okla, Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas doing Civil War reinactments. and then of couse The Alamo.
I had a strong sense of Deja Vue when I walked the route of the so called "Picketts Charge. It just sent chills down my side.

Being Texan, well the Alamo is a shrine.....'nuff said.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 01:28 PM UTC
Just very few...

Amercian Civil War: Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Spottsylvania Courthouse.

Yorktown.

In Europe I have not yet gone to specific battlefieds for the battles per se, but as I went to school there, Arnhen, and seen Nijmegen, Overloon of the WW II battlefields.

I also have been to Xanten, burned during the Batavian Revolt in 69 AD, where today there is a partial reconstruction of the Roman settlement.

Also, almost undoubtedly, I have driven over some battlefield unknowingly during my travels in Europe.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 05:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just very few...

Amercian Civil War: Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Spottsylvania Courthouse.

Yorktown.

In Europe I have not yet gone to specific battlefieds for the battles per se, but as I went to school there, Arnhen, and seen Nijmegen, Overloon of the WW II battlefields.

I also have been to Xanten, burned during the Batavian Revolt in 69 AD, where today there is a partial reconstruction of the Roman settlement.

Also, almost undoubtedly, I have driven over some battlefield unknowingly during my travels in Europe.

There are bunch of good choices in your response. The one thing that stands out in my mind after visting Holland and the Arnhem area is the care the people take in commemorating the area. I saw trees marked where American paratroopers landed, school kids doing projects on the history of the conflict and superb museums. I enjoyed my time there and am going back as soon as possible.