Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
A Civil discussion about cyber-purchases.
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:23 PM UTC
Greetings all;

I recently ran into a hassle that has me bumfuzzled. On another website some people that asked if they could get high res copies of some images I had posted for their interest. I gave some images to friends that asked for them because they had helped me in the past. Then I offered a CD of 133 High res images on my website to anyone interested.

Suddenly when they saw that I asked for cost of the CD, packaging and postage &etc they turned like a pack of hungry coyotes. Saying how dare I charge for this. I can't figure it? Are people that cheap? Sorry I just can't figure it out.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:31 PM UTC
Sad isn't it when some people expect everything free? I really can understand perfectly your frustration over this. I wonder if they have the same argument whenever they reach the check-out in the supermarket?
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:32 PM UTC
I'm with you Stephen....
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:41 PM UTC
Before anybody is jumped on, and in the interest of fairness, all the facts should be ascertained. May we ask how much you were asking for the one CD plus P&P?

Vinnie
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 09:03 PM UTC
I'd be asking for the Cost of the Supplies (Cd, Case, padded envelpoe & Postage)
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Before anybody is jumped on, and in the interest of fairness, all the facts should be ascertained. May we ask how much you were asking for the one CD plus P&P? Vinnie

Teacher, Please understand I am not trying to jump on anyone. No one on this website is at issue. I am just scratching my head. The offer is on my website. $15.00 for 133 high res images shipped anywhere in the world. I paid for the images. I burn the CD, P&P. As Matt says, CD, case, padded envelope & postage.

http://www.wwi-n-plastic.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=177&ccSID=ea5cb6c6cf683a5c0b2d4d27414a2851

Postage can be a real pain by the way. I sent a CD to Austrailia about three weeks ago...$8.70 USD. Another to Canada $7.50 USD. The pack and ship joints here really can get you on some things.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 09:26 PM UTC
It's OK, I know you weren't Stephen. I do however, think that the people you refer to might have resented the fact that you asked for $15 when a blank CD only costs 25 cents, especially since as you said, they had helped you out in the past. Having said all that I don't think you asking for it was unreasonable, If they didn't want to pay the $15, they could have just politely declined the offer.

Vinnie
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's OK, I know you weren't Stephen. I do however, think that the people you refer to might have resented the fact that you asked for $15 when a blank CD only costs 25 cents, especially since as you said, they had helped you out in the past. Having said all that I don't think you asking for it was unreasonable, If they didn't want to pay the $15, they could have just politely declined the offer.

Vinnie

Vinnie; As I said earlier I gave images to people that helped me in the past.
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sad isn't it when some people expect everything free? I really can understand perfectly your frustration over this. I wonder if they have the same argument whenever they reach the check-out in the supermarket?

Exactly.
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm with you Stephen....

Jan, Next round is on me... 30 year bottle and bond.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:39 PM UTC
My wife runs into the same kind of thing all the time. She has a small business, really not more than a hobby so far, of baking cheesecakes. She's very active in her church and she is all the time being invited to pot lucks, baby showers, wedding showers, etc. She says that whenever she goes to one the people there seem to expect a free cheesecake. This is over and above any food or gift she brings. If anybody does approach her to actually buy one, they seem to want a huge discount, and its not like she makes a big profit on the things. Worst of all are the people who want her recipe.

I think it all comes down to some people just not having any real conception of what goes into trying to turn a hobby into a business.
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:54 PM UTC
I'd love to try your wifes cheesecake.... Unfortunately it would go bad on the shipping I'm afraid. All the best for the future of her business!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:55 PM UTC
I am not at all surprised. I have sent spare kit parts gratis to people here that needed the help and about a quarter of the time I never even heard back that they received the package, let alone a thank you.
The other 75% of the time makes it worthwhile though...
I have gotten help too and always offered to at least pay the postage if nothing else. Was turned down every time.

It is all Karma.

Shaun

/Some Canadian still owes me money...

:-) :-)
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some Canadian still owes me money...

:-) :-)

me too :-) :-) :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:52 PM UTC
Roger's wife makes excellent cheesecakes. :-)
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:27 AM UTC
Like Shuan i've sent things out gratis to people who've needed thing's i've had and been happt to do so, but so far i've got 100% replys saying things have arrived. I've also been sent things from others on here - who were shocked that i paid them back the postage, but if you've paid for the images and want to charge - thats fine and dandy - people should not expect things for free, and $15US including postage to anywhere seems like a good price for a reference CD - especially if they know the sort of research that has gone into it.

Andy
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 03:11 AM UTC
I sincerely thank all of you for your candid responses so far. Feel free (there's that word again) to continue. Even if you disagree with me. I really enjoy the civil responses.
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 09:55 AM UTC
Stephen, I own an auto repair shop. When I first got into business, ALL of my friends all showed up expecting free work. For the most part, if they paid for the parts, I did it. But after a while, it became a real PITA. My friends no longer appreciated what I did for them for free, but rather expected it. Finally, it started to cause problems for my business, and I am not cheap, but I do have to make a living. So I decided to start charging them for the work I did. Still, I didnt charge anything close to what the work was worth. Know what happened? 90% of them got PO'd and stopped coming for anything. In fact, they would go elsewhere and pay someone more rather then pay me anything at all. But do you know what else? it was the best thing I ever did! Once I got rid of all the freeloaders, I was able to get onto the better paying work and start making money again. I was also able to weed out my true friends. What youre asking for isnt much. In fact, I think its pretty cheap. youre not making anything for the time it takes you to burn the CD, or even the time it takes you to go through the hassle of going to the post office. So, basically, if anyone complains about a lousy $15, let them complain and dont bother with them, theyre not worth your time or effort. One more thing, you may have had some help with this, but ultimately, you made the venture to go one step further, and put these on a CD, and offer it for sale on your web site. You have every right to make something for your efforts. If I were you, I would put it up for sale for $25 and then if any of your friends ask about it, give them a deal and sell it to them for $15. They'll feel like they got a deal, and wont have a reason to complain if your charging everyone else more.
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 05:38 PM UTC
Greetings Gary;

You know I learned this lesson about 45 years ago and I think I am slipping. Here I am 51, human nature just never ceases to amaze me. I sympathize completely with your situation. When you find a good mechanic he is worth his pay. Its like the old days when I was trying to "break in to the circle" of WWI aviation research. Simple courtesies like providing a self addressed & stamped envelope when you were asking for a response BC. (Before Computers.) Respect and sharing. That is what most of the forums on the internet profess. Its not a perfect world but still where did this attitude come from? You know the attitude that says, "...you owe me something even if I don't know you..."