History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Comrades in arms 2007
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 01:46 PM UTC
Group loyalty is strapping yourself to the wing of an Apache to rescue one of your own..

Recovery

David
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 03:03 PM UTC
Go Marines!!

It never fails to amaze me the degree of loyalty that Squaddies show to each other.

Andy
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:29 PM UTC
I know something like that has been done before. Some SF team was in a pickle in Afghanistan and needed extracted immediately. A pair of US Marine AH-1W Cobras were on station providing the team with fire support, and decided to extract the team themselves. Unlike the Apache, there really is no attachment points to sit, so they unstowed the side panel that accesses the nose cannon which folds down like a seat. They did this on both sides of each aircraft, I think two people to a bird (4 guys total). Throughly not designed to be open in flight let alone to hold a man, they were strapped in and had the ride of their life. In an interview, one of the SF guys had an "Oh !%#" moment just before takeoff realizing he was strapped to the OUTSIDE of a helicopter. All made it back ok.

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 01:04 AM UTC
That's one tough bunch of highly motivated individuals. I mourn the loss, but salute their devotion to duty.
Amazing
DJ
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 01:19 PM UTC
That's a great story of dedication to one's own on the battlefield. As for the U.S. Marines we hold the U.K. Marines in very high esteem and this is a perfect example of why.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 01:51 PM UTC
Seems to have been been practised technique, with the Marines sitting on the pods either site of the cockpit and clipping onto the maintenance steps to the rear of the canopy. This allows the men outside to communicate with the pilot.

David