Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Photography in Military Museums
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 06:57 AM UTC
There's an interesting exhibition on here in Dublin called "Soldiers and Chiefs: The Irish at War at Home and Abroad, 1550-2001"
http://www.museum.ie/events/details_events.asp?eventid=1235&site_id=0" TARGET="_blank"> http://www.museum.ie/events/details_events.asp?eventid=1235&site_id=0
I have reservations about the layout and depth of the exhibition but, for me, the biggest drawback is that no photography is allowed. I can understand this in the case of Documents but what harm can taking a photo do to a Landsverk Tank or a Bren gun Carrier.
Of the Museums you have visited with indoor military vehicle displays how many allow photography. I want to get as much comparative info before I formally complain to the Museum Director.
The rest of my complaints can be seen here
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/90945&page=1
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 07:58 AM UTC
Ahoy Mate,

It is known that electronic flash will emit UV light. This is simply because the
zeon tube has been filled with gas to burn and simulate daylight.

This UV emission could have an adverse effect on very old documents but
how much is really needed? Well if everyone was blasting away.....I guess
there would be need for concern.

If I may suggest.....contact the museum curator and ask for permission to
photograph without flash.......just up your ISO or ASA .

If using a digital camera filter for tungsten lighting......if using conventional
film.....an 80 series filter ( blue in color ) will filter for the excess yellow
produced by shooting daylight film in tungsten situations.

There is also tungsten balanced film, no need to filter here.

Check with a photo retailer in your area.

And if the answer is still no.....well......

Cheers,
Joe
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 02:04 PM UTC
First of all write the museum a polite letter enquiring if you can be allowed to take photos for personal research purposes only. and that you are only interested in the vehicles. There may be copyright and other issues involved which restrict photography. At least give the museum a chance to explain its position before complaining.

David
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

First of all write the museum a polite letter enquiring if you can be allowed to take photos for personal research purposes only. and that you are only interested in the vehicles. There may be copyright and other issues involved which restrict photography. At least give the museum a chance to explain its position before complaining.

David

That's probably the best way to go although the photography ban is not the only issue I have with the exhibition. And if they do refuse at least I'll have something else to complain about
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 05:12 PM UTC
The museums I've been to also have a no photo policy (for the reasons stated.)

There are some that allow them outside (no flash), but inside they simply do the whole building because it would become difficult to monitor where photos were taken and not taken etc.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 08:14 PM UTC
Another unknow reason they don't (often) allow photography of any kind in some museums, is simply, thieves have been known to take pictures of the security systems. This was explained to me by a curator of a well known museum in England...
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 01:07 PM UTC
This is an interesting topic.

I was in Sweden this summer, visited 3 museums with stuff from Swedish military history. As we all know...Sweden havent had much of a military history since early 1700's...so the stuff is old. There are items from the 13th and 14th century up until early 18th century. There was no problem at all taking pictures with flash as much as you wanted.

About a month ago we went to the National Cowboy Heritage museum in Oklahoma city, there were items from the 19th and early 20th century and no flash photagraphy was allowed, and many areas where no photography was allowed at all.

Now I wonder why this is. Why is it allowed in Sweden but not here? The items in Sweden are a lot older, and a lot more rare/valuable. For example, King Karl XII's great coat, boots, hat and gauntlets he wore when he was shot and killed. King Gustaf's tournament armor etc etc. but yet I cant take a picture of a statue out of plaster in the US? Seams a little weird to me...
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:17 AM UTC
They do that so then you gotta buy their photo books. Just an easy way to make money off tourists
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They do that so then you gotta buy their photo books. Just an easy way to make money off tourists

The annoying thing is that there is no catalogue for the exhibition
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 05:33 AM UTC
And even if they did have a catalog or picture book of their exibits the pictures would be small and low quailty. And wouldnt help us as modellers much as we need detailed pictures of specific areas of a tank or garment.

modelbuilder82
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The annoying thing is that there is no catalogue for the exhibition

You know I was just thinking the exact same thing. Can't forget those lovely 6 dollar post cards they sell also.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 03:18 AM UTC
Strangely, when I visited Normany a few years ago, there were no problems taking photos in any of the museums we visited. In fact, when we went to Picardy the year before last, we were allowed to film with the camcorder. This may have changed, the EC is for ever thinking up new ways it can screw it's "citizens".