_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Nazi Markings on AC and vehicles
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC

Question:

Do you guys who live in Europe where Nazi markings are illegal to display able to put such marking on your models? Or, do you have to leave them off?

I suppose in your own home it may be OK, but what about at a contest?

Just wondering because I have bought several kits made in europe that don't include the Nazi marks in the decal sheets, or include them in several pieces that need to be ovelapped.

Steve
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 652 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:16 PM UTC
I live in England and have seen swastikas galore at model shows such as Trucks n tracks in Folkestone, Euro-militaire etc.
It is illegal here to advertise cigarrettes and tobacco, but not Nazi memorabilia, unless of course you mean to cause offence. It then becomes a criminal offence of "Intending to Cause alarm harrassment or distress" by "displaying any writing, sign, or visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, This is according to the PUBLIC ORDER ACT OF 1986.

This DOES NOT extend to the hooby, as the models are depictions of historical vehicles / events and are NOT indended to offend.

Wether or not manufacturers deem to include these items are a matter for them, and not law.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:46 PM UTC
That is very interesting, Martin, as I always assumed there was a legal reason for not producing decal sheets with the symbol.

Mike

ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 08:58 PM UTC
There is a legal reason for the non-inclusion of swastikas. The symbols are still banned in Germany (and France, I think?). As the Far East kit manufactures want to sell in those countrys they have to print swastikas separately or at the edge where they can be cut off the sheet. Naturally, Revell of Germany dont print them at all.
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 426 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 05:23 AM UTC
I know that on my new ultimate soldier 32x german me-262 and bf-109 diecast aircraft, that the swastikas have been blacked out or are not on the plane at all..
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 12:11 PM UTC
As stated previously there is NO legal reason in the UK...as to the rest of Europe I don't know. perhaps as UKGEOFF says...maybe there is in Germany and France???

_GOTOTOP