_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Need recommendations for magnification
Stillhawk
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 09:32 PM UTC
I've just started getting serious about PE and have found that my present cheap vision visor, which was perfectly adequate until now, just doesn't do the job when it comes to the really minute fiddly-bits such as tool clasps. I've tried a magnifying desk light but it's just too cumbersome and provides no depth perception. So I'd appreciate any comments from guys who use the Optivisor, Magnavisor, or any other device to help me find the right one.

Michael
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 09:41 PM UTC
I use an optivisor and love it. Several other guys in the club use tehm, too. The only drawback is the vinyl liner on the brow can get rather uncomfortable if it's too hot allowing sweat to drip to the eyes.
Stillhawk
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 09:59 PM UTC
Thanks Al. If you wouldn't mind my asking, I'm curious whether you also wear glasses, at least for reading (as I do), and whether the optivisor is strong enough for all your needs or do you ever need to augment it with more magnification for tinier objects.

Edit: On second thought, after reading the material on it and some of the others, I've decided to order it. I would, however, be interested to know whether you use the add-on loupes to increase its power.
 _GOTOTOP