_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Pastels?
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hi, everybody. I thought I was an experienced modeller, but after reading some articles I think I'd might be a no-no!
Without looking stupid; can anyone tell me what pastels are, where I can get them, and most important, how I use them?

Thanx in advance, John.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 06:19 AM UTC
Never a stupid question.
Pastels are chalk, you can get them at art stores, hobby stores, craft stores.

Heres another thread on use:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/9054&page=1
and another
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/8727&page=1" TARGET="_blank">
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/8727&page=1

and a bit more here too
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/8137&page=1
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi John, If you're buying your pastels in an art store, make sure you get "chalk" pastels and not "oil" pastels. The sales people in an art store may not know what you want to do with them. Oil pastels are, as their name implies, oily, and cannot be used in the same way as the chalk ones.

Roger
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 08:28 AM UTC
Thank you, Roger and Scott, now I now where to look for!.Maybe a step closer to a perfect model!

John
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 08:29 AM UTC
I go to agree with my chum FAVORISIO, make sure you get the chalk based pastels. The oil based ones will not work.
Scrape the side of the pastel with the edge of a sharp knife or crush into a powder. Take some of the powder onto a soft brush and literally brush onto the model. DO NOT touch the area again, you will leave fingerprints!
Make sure that you have completed the model to your satisfaction before applying the "dust", including other weathering and decals.
You will not be able to seal the dust or the effect will look wrong. I have tried.
Any questions specific, feel free to PM me.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 02:09 PM UTC
You may also want to look into MIG productions powders you can probably find out more about them on ML. from some of the reviews I've read they're supposed to work very well. essentially theryre pastel powders in a jar ready to use.I think the term seen is pigments

Josh weingarten aka shiryon
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You may also want to look into MIG productions powders you can probably find out more about them on ML. from some of the reviews I've read they're supposed to work very well. essentially theryre pastel powders in a jar ready to use.I think the term seen is pigments

Josh weingarten aka shiryon

100% in agreement with Josh on this great stuff. Have not tried them as of yet but have the whole line get them from Mission Models fast service!! Oh I did see them in use more like a stronger Pastel. Could also try one of model railroading sites as they sell weathering powders
Paul160
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 102 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 10:30 AM UTC
i have had success with crayola coloured chalk. i have put pastels and the chalk side by side and they look the same, exept crayola chalk is about 90%cheaper. try both. if you can do it for chepaer then why not??

Cheers,
Paul
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:08 PM UTC
Good idea Paul, you sure they're the same?
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 05:21 PM UTC
I used pastels on my last model and really liked what they can do. I did buy a stick of black oil pastel on accident and have found some use for it, mainly for putting powder burn marks on the end of a barrel or exhaust stains. It just looks a little more realistic than the chaulck stuff for that to me anyway.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 07:17 PM UTC
we all learn something new from each other everyday,never think your question is stupid. chalk pastels are very easy to use and i think they are one of the best ways for weathering. :-
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 08:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I used pastels on my last model and really liked what they can do. I did buy a stick of black oil pastel on accident and have found some use for it, mainly for putting powder burn marks on the end of a barrel or exhaust stains. It just looks a little more realistic than the chaulck stuff for that to me anyway.

Interesting Andrew, I used black chalk pastel but mixed it with a little water and "painted" it on, gave a thicker covering. Then when dried I could smooth it out a bit with a rag. It worked OK, so I think I may try using the water mixture again for mud effects etc.

Roger
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 08:39 PM UTC
definitely you can use it for dust effects when you use Pastels in combination with water as some sort of a wash.
I have used it on several tanks and it looked fine. I have also seen pictures of modelers who did complete camo schemes with pastels and that looked really good.

flakdog
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 19 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 07:11 PM UTC
As i have only started using pastels for weathering myself, i have found this forum most helpful. Thanks guys.
 _GOTOTOP