_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Any sources for minature Nuts/Bolts
ian_reece
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 141 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hello

I am looking for some small Nuts and Bolts, ideally I would like to go as small as metric M1 (1.0mm). I have seen evidence they exist but cannot find a supplier. Ideally, they would need to be in the UK or able to ship to it.

Cheers

Ian
Dirk-Danger
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 252 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi Ian,

CMK make them (bolt and nut ends) as small as 1.5mm - we have some in stock but they are not listed on our website. Bronco models also make them - nut ends only. The bronco ones are listed in our shop.

Regards,

Lee
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello

I am looking for some small Nuts and Bolts, ideally I would like to go as small as metric M1 (1.0mm). I have seen evidence they exist but cannot find a supplier. Ideally, they would need to be in the UK or able to ship to it.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian!

Have you ever heard of Micro-Mark?
I know that I have seen miniature nuts and bolts, screws, etc, in their catalog often, and I do believe that shipping to the UK is not a problem. . .check the situation out HERE!
And I bet that you'll find a whole bunch of OTHER goodies that you need once you look at the catalog contents!
Hope that this helps you out some!
Cheers,
~Gunny
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 05:34 PM UTC
Does anyone have any good tips for scratch building these? 1/35 scale preferably.

Cheers,

James
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 06:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone have any good tips for scratch building these? 1/35 scale preferably.

3 choices.
Buying 2 punch and dies ... one hex and one round ... both available from Historex. They´re about £40 each, and could last a long time with proper care. Very useful for other scratch purposes and probably necessary if you decide to go down that road.
Or buying suitably sized hex and round plastic rod. Good to have at hand anyway!
Or the cheap old fashioned way. Stretching sprue. 2 thicknesses. The bigger can be scraped to get a hex profile (top, bottom and then "point" both sides) and then sliced. The smaller for the round bolt. Slice and glue together. Free, but time consuming and not very consistent!

It all depends on how many you want, your demand for accuracy and consistency and how much money you´re willing to spend.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 06:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers,

James

Hi James!
OK, couple of questions. . .do you mean scratch build the entire bolt/nut assembly, or just the head of the bolt/nut. . .reason I'm asking, mate, is if you are going to try to scratch build tiny nuts and bolts that actually work, you are going to need a precision miniature lathe, and the knowledge of replicating the little buggers.

If you're just looking to replicate the exterior of the nut/bolt heads, may I suggest taking a look HERE!
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 09:58 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips guys. Yes I did mean just the bold heads! Just thinking about making 3 or 4 so ill go with a cheap option before I splash out on anything to extravagant!

Cheers,

James
Obiwan3
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 50 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:31 PM UTC
Check out your model railroad hobby shops. See if they can get Grandtline parts. They make a variety of sizes of nut/bolt/washer combinations. They're listed for O,S,HO & N scale, but they'll work for any scale. Make sure you get to see pictures of the combos because they have soooo many versions. Good hunting.
 _GOTOTOP