_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Model related New Year's resolutions?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:51 AM UTC
Anyone come up with modeling related New Year's resolutions? I'm thinking about building more kits before buying any more, but not sure what a good number would be. Perhaps 10?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:11 AM UTC
How long does it take you to complete a build? Multiply by 10. Can you really hold out that long? IMO its better to give yourself realistic goals.
Pretty general answers Rob, but only you can decide (or know) how long it takes to build a kit. Eventhough the majority are 1/72, must still take a week or two, at least??
Another factor is collecting versus building. I know you have an amzing stash (es). Would you miss out on kit that complete a series?

Personally, Id go with a "build 2, buy 1" system so that the stash does actually reduce some, and maybe save some of these in case "that" kit comes along.
My stash sits somewhere between 20 to 30 armor kits plus about 100 figure kits. My first priority is to finish up those in-progress projects, and this is about 10 models. So hopefully at the end of 2007, IŽll have half the amount of in-progress models, and the stash wont go above 30.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:12 AM UTC
Just a general resolution to build more and have fun and not get bogged down too often in details and buy less kits than I did this year
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:13 AM UTC
Mine is to finish at least 50% of what's on the work bench before starting any new ones. I'm tired of the "half" finished projects cluttering the place.

Build ten, buy one sounds very workable. :-)

Happy New years Robin.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:16 AM UTC
Mine is to post lot's more content on the site! Holiday is over............and the Armour team are back at work. :-)

Vinnie
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 04:14 AM UTC

Get the ...."AWAITING SPARES".... ...shelves empty ...ie finish off the 12 plus and find more "BEASTIES" ---buy plastic NOW ..so I don't run out
Try to make my online builds more "friendly "---think I scare people from answering .... :-) :-)
Try not to upset the Staff on big A.......... with my style of replies /prose
Buy ---ONLY---kits that are what I BUILD
Submit at least 5 on DMoM and a few on Bulldog 's MoM
KEEP MY BENCH TIDY
AYE
BARV
(GOSMG)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 04:35 AM UTC
Build more models

Be nice to the family

Don't annoy anyone

Absolutely no sarcasm!
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 04:41 AM UTC
:-)
You've broken two already
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

PS --so have I :-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 08:28 AM UTC
Same as last year, and probably the year before of course, build more models. I really think I'm going to do it this year. (yeah, right.) I have told myself I won't start one more kit until I finish at least half the half finished kits I've got on the bench. I'm really pretty close to finally getting every older kit that I want. Now if I can keep up with all the goodies DML is coming out with us Allied modelers.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:29 AM UTC
Traditionally mine has been build more models than the previous year. This year it's complete more models than the previous year.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 03:40 PM UTC
Mine seems to be to Finish More this year as well........ Even if it's Part of a Dio.... maybe by treating each part as it's "own" i might accomplish more.......
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 05:30 PM UTC
-Ive just managed to get into the habit of starting what I finish this last year so i'm going to try and keep that up.
-Ive decided the diorama Ive just started is going to be the best ive ever done with amazing attention to detail everywhere (we shall see!)
-I always say this, but like you guys i'm going to try and finish the kits I have collecting dust, and possibly finish the ones ive started.
-Ive just bought all my old dioramas over from England to Ireland so I think i'll probably have to do a few repairs too!
-Id also like to finally get some photos up on the site but don't hold your breath, im a busy man!

Happy new year guys,

James
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 09:27 PM UTC
To finish the 6 or so kits that I have started and lost interst in. That would be a big step in the right direction for me.

Jeff
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 09:42 PM UTC
Well my first resolution is to tidy up on/ around my workbench before starting anything else. I will have to do this one as the next kit is a U/Boat, that is going to take up a lot of space .
The second resolution is not to buy any more models, until I reduce the stash, that's never going to last as I have already seen 3 "must have " kits .
Andy
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:13 AM UTC
I guess I'll join the crowd on the "no more buys"... (Helps to strengthen my will that my girlfriend calculated that after paying the bills, tuition, gas and food, we have approx 5 dollars per month left...)
And I finally started 4 kits that have been sitting in my close, taunting me. I rather have more started projects than 1 or 2 that last forever. I will build more! (I just don't know what I'm going to do with the built kits. Somehow I'll have to take them back home when I finish my degree...)
MiG-17
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 123 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 01:43 PM UTC
Build more- Buy less!! My unbuilt kit boxes are taking up too much space! Cheers-

Rob-

MiG-17

The word on the street is that the MSRP on Trumpeter kits will be going UP very soon! It,s an oil thing!
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 09:29 AM UTC
Mine is to just build!

I haven't built anything in so long due to that stupid thing in my head called modelers block. I can't seem to keep with one thing for more than a day or two without getting antsy. Just let me do one and I'll be happy!
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 09:49 AM UTC
My model related NY R would be to finish what I started, from go to woe! Too many half finshed dribs n drabs floating about... Also to paint figures i've sculpted! Have this fear of small pointed paintbrushes...
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 05:27 PM UTC
Build more and not buy anything at all for at least six months (hah!)

And start off by finishing the half dozen or so part-built kits within arm's reach of where I sit at home. Then investigate the boxes under the table for further unfinished stuff. Then into the next room and open some more boxes. Then there's the unstarted collection.....

David

RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 08:54 PM UTC
Mine is, i am going to try and get this figure painting lark down, we shall see Practice, Practice, Practice

redleg
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 01:40 AM UTC
You guys are a batch of overacheivers! :-)

I'm going to settle for geting one kit FINISHED!
 _GOTOTOP