Hosted by Matt Leese
Mission Models Precision Glue Tips
cementshoes
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 69 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 01:41 AM UTC
Has anyone used the new glue tips from Mission Models? Are they woth buying? I have alot of problems getting the right amount fo CA in the right spot, these seem like they would eliminate the problem. And I do use ZAP.

Thanks Rick
Obiwan3
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:35 PM UTC
I usually put a bit of superglue on a plastic lid and use a straightened out paperclip to apply a dot of gue wherever I need it. Save that tool expense for more paints or another kit!
Just my 2 cents.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 01:33 AM UTC
I've been using .5 mm mechanical pencil leads for a few years now. They're cheap, easy to find, and as they get glued up, you can snap off the end and keep going.

There is also an idea out there to clup the end off of the eye of a sewing needle and use the resulting "Y" shape as a precision glue drop applicator. I've never had any success cliping the end of and having anything left to work with.

HTH
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 02:09 AM UTC
I second the opinions already posted here. No matter how small the tip is, you're still there holding a bottle of CA over your model. If I understand Murphy's laws at all, that day is will come when something goes wrong and you end up accidentally squirting a healthy dose of superglue over your almost completed model.

I too use the method of applying CA to disposable palette (plastic lids, pieces of gloss coated thin cardboard from cookie boxes etc.), then using cocktail sticks and needles to apply the glue.
But one thing I must try is that sewing needle trick. Sometimes I find it hard to apply glue to pin-point locations (like holes for ingition harness in A/C engines). The drop of glue forms beyond the very tip of the needle, and when you try to get the glue to release into the shallow hole, it ends up around it. Using that modified sewing needle would solve that problem once and for all. All I have to do is get needles small enough...
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 383 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is also an idea out there to clup the end off of the eye of a sewing needle and use the resulting "Y" shape as a precision glue drop applicator. I've never had any success cliping the end of and having anything left to work with.

HTH

Here's a link to how to make one for those interested. HERE
 _GOTOTOP