_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
MGU 101 - Research/Planning
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 06:37 PM UTC
Here it is Class one - Research and Planning.
This is a critical step in a successful build. Poor planning can lead to a less-than satisfying build.
My favorite acronym is P7 - Prior Proper Planning Prevents P____ Poor Performance. If you spend a bit of time here you can save yourself some headache later.
This starts with some inspiration or an idea or concept. Maybe a kit on the shelf peaks your interest or a campaign needs a subject or you're building a kit for a friends birthday. The concept starts the ball rolling.

With a general idea in mind start planning- ask youself a ton of questions:

What are you going to build and why?
WIll it be a show piece will it be a private piece?
Are there aftermarket kits to add on?
Will it be a static display or a diorama?
Do I have the space to store this project?
Do I have the tools necessary to build this kit - plaster and resin kits require different attention and tools.

These are all questions that should play into your concept of a build. Not every question for every build, but the more you ask yourself up front the better off you'll be later. If you plan on a 2' by 3' diorama and don't have a shelf or table in the house for it be displayed it will never get off your work bench or you'll have to sell it to someone or change plans later.

That's all in just the general project. Then comes the Research for the subject matter itself. This ties in quite a bit with the kit(s) you select for the project. Once you have an idea of the project then you have to research things like the kit(s). Are they accurate (enough), are they the right variant for the time period. What uniforms do the crew wear? These are more specific questions about the subject.
Then you find out things about the kit itself. Is it easy to build, are there fit problems. Here is a great way to find out from others and learn from them.

Enough of me rambling.

Here is what I need to see from you over the next two weeks.
- An image of the kit you select. If you don't take one on your own, then a link to a manufacturers site with an image.
- A brief description of the build project.
- I want to see three separate references to three different sources of research material. These can be internet links or title, author ISBN # of hardcopy books you have or check out from the library.

NOTE: if you start a new thread please put MGU101 in the title. If you are posting in another forum for another campaign add a post here referencing the other thread.

This is new to everyone so ask questions.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 06:51 PM UTC
Here is part of my homework

This is the kit I am going to build

I am going to build a static display of the locomotive on a small wooden base with tracks on it. This kit will be a gift for my father, who is a railroad 'geek' not a model 'geek'.

--------
Things that this tells me.
I won't need a lot of shelf space, locomotives are narrow and long so display space isn't a big concern.
I do need to pay close attention to getting the locomotive pretty accurate because my father does know what he's looking at. He isn't super critical though so I can let a few things slide (if necessary). Always know your audience it will help your build.
Simple things in the information I gave, it's a Revell kit. That tells me that even if I can't find much about the kit itself the brand brings a certain level of expectation with it.
Other things, it's a popular subject - railroad. This gives me hope of finding tons of research material on the build.
It's from my home country which may make finding information and potentially 1:1 references.
I need to think about wood working tools to form the base. It may be tricky to find a premade picture frame or display plaque to hold such a long narrow subject.
My Dad lives in NY I live 12 hours away in NC - how to I get it there? This may make me shy away from delicate Photo Etch (PE) add ons.
jRatz
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 06:51 AM UTC
Scott,

If I'd known far enough in advance you were doing the "Big Boy", I'd have cleared my bench and worked along with you. I have the same kit (actually both Revell & old Monogram) and a slew of 1:1 references. My intention was to dive into the rail catalogs and start detailing with lost-wax castings, etc ...

But, man, I just cannot do it right now - drat !!!
I'll be watching and if you need any reference help, let me know ...

John
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 07:08 AM UTC
www.scalescenes.com

I'm going to build the freebie download off of that site

It's card model.
Will be made from cardboard, cardstock, etc.

No reference at all which means I can weather this building to my liking

It is in HO scale. So it will go on my layout

Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 09:39 AM UTC
I will be building Dragon's 1/35 Delta Force next, so here is a picture and some baseline information.
http://www.abcmodelsport.net/p345745/Dragon-3022-135-Delta-Force.html

It will just be a quick figure build for now, to be put in a diorama at a later date. I will also add things like rank markings and unit patches if appropriate at a later date.

As referances, I will be using
1) The page from Lucky Model (that I can't find right now) because it shows close ups of the sprues and shows me what Im getting into.
2) The book Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden, as it describes how Delta operated, what gear they carried, and the units, as well as containing some pictures.
3) http://world.guns.ru/main-e.htm for weapons referances. Specifically the German made HK MP-5 submachine gun (appears to be the MP-5SD3 variant), the US made Colt M4 assault rifle, and the US made M24 sniper rifle.
4) Books and internet sources yet to be found on Delta force, unifrom patterns, weapons specifics, and gear loads and colours.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 04:11 PM UTC
* John, bummer about the timing. I wish I had decided earlier too. I really hadn't. It just became an inspiration a few days ago.
Do you have anything else 'on the bench' you can use to join?

* Cool medium Luke. I haven't seen a paper kit yet on the site. I've seen a few advertised and for sale on ebay. None built.
Very unique buiding, it even has moving parts.
Not out of the woods on research and planning though. It's just a bit easier.
Even with a 'total fiction' piece you'll still have to answer a few questions about the project. With this particular kit the questions that pop to mind are:
1. Which color would you choose and why?
2. Do you need an special paper?
3. Where do you get the paper, is it available easily?
4. Do I have the 'real estate' in my train layout?
5. Does this kit 'fit' in with other buildings in the layout?
6. What about tools, (the instructions cover them pretty well) did you have all them already?
7. Do I need any special 'finishing' products - pastels etc?
8. Anytime a buiding is involved you'll need to consider an interior and what you'll do about that.

These are the kinds of 'research/planning' questions you will end up going through no mater which kit you

* Nice post Kevin. Fits the bill.
A couple of things on planning that popped up to me are
1. Will you add any pins to the feet for later diorama placement or will you leave them off till that project?
2. Will the diorama project dictate the unit of these guys or vice-versa? That will affect what unit markings you apply.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 06:58 PM UTC
1. Which color would you choose and why? red because red is what is around here in Iowa my layoutt is mostly Iowa
2. Do you need an special paper? cardstock and thin carrdboard
3. Where do you get the paper, is it available easily? yes und yes (i get it from cereal boxes)
4. Do I have the 'real estate' in my train layout? yes
5. Does this kit 'fit' in with other buildings in the layout? in the downtown area
6. What about tools, (the instructions cover them pretty well) did you have all them already? I usually only use 1. a copy of instructions 2. Box cutter #. elmers glue
7. Do I need any special 'finishing' products - pastels etc? charcoal mixed with alchohol and rust powder mixed wtih alchohol for s
8. Anytime a buiding is involved you'll need to consider an interior and what you'll do about that. boxes

slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 08:04 PM UTC
Luke -Cereal Boxes huh. Never thought of that one. I like it though. Nice firm heavy stock, easily available and you get double duty.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 04:54 AM UTC
Bottoms of armor boxes and certain figure boxes also work for card models ( I remove all box art and pictures of insignias and weapons from tamiya boxes and other model manufacturers boxes before use).

Front and Back of spiral bound notebooks can work for card models.
Old christmas and birthday cards can work as well for card models.
Some postcards may also be used for card models.

All you have to do is cut out the parts glue/add the paper and glue/asemble the parts.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 05:38 AM UTC
Here are my three internet sources.
Steam Locomotive
Wikipedia
Train Web
Train Museum

This subject was fairly easy to find. Sometimes you have to dig a bit deeper. Sometimes you have to go to a 'subject' site and then do a secondary search within it. This is because the site content is not indexed or searchable by a 'general' search engine such as google.

Other ways are to find Forum Sites on the subject. If you subject is a Ford Mustang, there are Mustang Owner Groups that you can visit or join and get some really detailed information.

One huge way is to ask in a KitMaker site and you instantly increase your searching power by the factor of the members. Just remember to do a few searches yourself. It's bad internet 'form' or 'netiquette' to blindly ask a question without doing a bit of work first.
jRatz
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 07:33 AM UTC
Scott,
No, sorry, I've got too much going on to add any more active participation.

While internet sources are all right, there is no substitute for the printed word, IMHO.

One of my primary research sources is ABE (Advanced Book Exchange) at www.abebooks.com . Even if you don't buy the books, you can take a list of what you find to your local library and maybe find it or get in on an inter-library loan. Or maybe find it a local book dealer & just leaf thru it.

Last, allow me to add to your 4-8-8-4 ref list (found most of these on ABE):
Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy Locomotive Pictorial, by Mulina
Union Pacific Across Sherman Hill, by Drury/Trains
Union Pacific Steam; Big Boy Portraits, by Bush&Ehernberger/Challenger
World's Greatest Steam Locomotives, by Huddleston/TLC
Steam Locomotives Cyclopedia Vol 1, by Westcott/MR
Steam Locomotives Projects & Ideas, by Pryke/MR

John
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

* Nice post Kevin. Fits the bill.
A couple of things on planning that popped up to me are
1. Will you add any pins to the feet for later diorama placement or will you leave them off till that project?
2. Will the diorama project dictate the unit of these guys or vice-versa? That will affect what unit markings you apply.

Thank you very much, now on to your questions.

I will probably put the pins in as I work out their placement. I like to see how they will fit exactly, and plan positions. With the peg in, I can't get them flush on the ground. With the pegs out, I can trace on the groundwork where the feet are, and then drill a hole in the groundwork accordingly.

Also, I think I will leave these guys as Delta Force, and create a Diorama around that, probably a Somalia theme. Its hard to change their unit, because they wear different helmets, all carry sidearms on leg holsters, and some other things about their equipment. The helmets are basically plastic hocky helmets rather than the standard Kevlar, and are pretty unique to Delta Force.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:21 PM UTC
Only three of us huh
jRatz
SkateOrDie
Johnston_RCR

Sorry find it hard to believe only three people (other than myself) started a kit in January.
How can you not join an MGU campaign, it's what you're doing anyway.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:30 PM UTC
Sorry Scott,

Thought I'd said I was in...

I'm not sure what I'm building other than that it's a figure...
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 09:23 AM UTC
Scott, mine isn't even for another campaign. Just convenient excuse to build a random kit I have wanted for a while. So I would have to agree, it is hard to believe so few started.

Is this an actually campaign running? Like, should I go look for it on the campaign section, and officially enlist? I didn't even notice when I first posted, was just thinking it was a step by step learning process that people could do with a kit of their choice.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:46 AM UTC
I've painstakingly managed to narrow my list of candidates down to 3... and believe me, with my interest currently being all over the place along with my desire to do more fun, fictional builds, this was a mammoth task... :-)

Anyways, these are the 3:

Trifon Miniatures' TNT Lethal! (review here)

Platoon German Falshmjager
Review forthcoming and I've just ordered Jaume Ortiz and Danni Alfonso's Osprey book from Gino Poppe's shop - Figure Royale. Shameless plug time: email or PM Gino (aka ViolentG) if you'd like to support a fellow members hobby shop.

Pegaso English Archer, 1346-1356
I'd originally planned this figure for PPC, but ran out of time. This figure would now be for the HF campaign, Masters of Battle... I was thinking of naming this piece "Pluck Yew" Do you guys think the humour would be lost on the viewers?

So... as you can see, I'm in a bit of a quandary (sp?) as these are all great pieces that all have their own challenges...

Rudi
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 04:11 PM UTC
Kevin (and all). Right now this is campaign can not be found in the campaign section of the site. But it will be a full campaign with a ribbon at the end.

There is some work being done on the administrative side right now that has prevented it from becoming a 'visible campaign.

Rudi - I love the TNT figure, that would be an awsome exercise in oil painting. I know black is your favorite color :-)
The archer is fantastic and I LOVE the name it sure wasn't lost on me. That sometimes is the beauty of a subtle name. Sometimes people miss it the first time around.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 06:26 PM UTC
My January project is Romeo Models Dacian Celtic Warrior 2nd century A.D. It is 54 mm white metal sculpted by Gianni La Rocca, one of my favorite sculptors.

I plan to paint this figure to display in 2007 model shows with a different cloak design, different pattern on shield and a more realistic and detailed figure base.

As references; I have 2 books ; Osprey 129 - Rome's enemies 1- Germanics and Dacians and Concord - ISBN 962-361-623-6, 1997-Ancient Celts.

There are useful drawings in both books to find different patterns for cloak and shield. I also made internet search and found some websites.they are not very useful as the books but can help about some historical info about dacians and can give me good hints about ground texture when making the figure base.
http://www.angelfire.com/journal/dacians/
http://www.geocities.com/cogaionon/pictures.htm
http://www.geticagame.com/index.php?section=dacians

Figure is already cleaned,pinned and primed. The cloak of the figure covers the sides of figure and I will paint the upper and lower torso seperately and then glue together.
That's all for now.Wish me luck.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 06:48 PM UTC
Hey bro!

Great to have you aboard

Nice figure you've selected.

For anyone else interested in this figure, check out Engin's review of this figure here: Romeo Models Dacian Celtic Warrior 2nd century AD Review

Rudi
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 07:31 PM UTC
I still have some in progress kits, that need to be closer to finished, than they are right now, before I start a new kit.

Do we have to finish the kit, we enter, within a certain time limit?
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 08:58 PM UTC
My January project is Vlad Tepes. The figure comes from F.M. Beneito and it is 54mm scale.
You can find the review of the item here .

Vlad Tepes is an important historic person of Romania and he had close relationship with the Turks of his era. As a Turk who lives in Romania for 15 years I didn't need much to search about him. I tried to learn about his wearing but all I could receive was just some suggestions about his costumes. In the books and internet all I could find was just his historical background. Besides his well known portret I couldnt find any pictures.
I discussed the subject with my Romanian friends. After taking their opinnions I decided not to handle him that shield as it seems that this kind of shield is not a particular one for those era's Romanians. It will need a minor conversion.
I had possibilty to visit the region he lived. I know about the folclor and history of the region and the tragic story of this Wallachian ruler. I think I caught that "spirit" for painting with enthusiasm this figure . I will share with you about his life after finishing and presenting the figure.
Here are the links mostly visited by me about Vlad Tepes:
http://www.e-scoala.ro/istorie/vlad.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_III_Dracula
http://www.donlinke.com/drakula/vlad/photos.htm
http://www.e-referate.ro/referate/Vlad_tepes2005-03-18.html
http://www.snagov.ro/ro/index.php?s=38

I am still searching for different painting patterns his coat. But also the boxart painting is a very nice and challenging choise..

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:49 PM UTC
After much thought (well, not really :-) ) I've decided to build the Pegaso English Archer, 1346-1356. The main reason is that it's something I can enter into the Masters of Battle campaign currently being held on HF. Other reasons being it's an interesting subject (I love the 100 year war between England and France), it's also quite a challenging piece for me in terms of painting as there is plenty of leather, cloth, mail, iron/steel and wood. I also just luuuuurve the pose of the figure.

My main resource for research tends to be the Osprey books. These are a wonderful starting point for any modeller. Especially if your interests are fairly diverse and you only really want to know enough to finish the immediate figure. These are actually one of my main sources when writing reviews, and are in the case of WW2 subjects supplimented by Concord and I think it's called Euromilitaria (?) uniformology books...

To get back on topic... My main resource for this build will be Osprey's Warrior 11 book, English Longbowman 1330–1515. I will also refer to various books about Crecy and Agincourt.

Whenever researching the figure, I also research typical attire of the period, so that I can also determine my colour palette and if necessary order my colours early. In this case I'll be painting the figure as per the box art, except perhaps with slightly different hues.

When doing my research, I also tend to re-read techniques and books by my favourite painters and modellers. I'm quite fond of Tim Flagstad's flesh techniques, so I'll tend to re-read that as well as painting techniques...

Getting back to the figure... This figure will be built OOB. I will be painting (with acrylics) him as a Welsh archer, so pretty much as per the box-art. I will use the kit supplied groundwork, but will build it up a bit with epoxy putty and add some grasses etc. and mount it to a small round base from the Andrea range.

Now all I've gotta do is actually start it LOL

Rudi
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 04:53 AM UTC
Well, I gave into temptation and started building one of the four figures in my Delta Force set, so I will be adding a T-72B to my build list for this one. I just picked one up, made by MiniHobbyModels.

This one will be a straight OOTB build. SImple and quick. I will not be building it as a motorized tank (it comes with the option). It can be seen here http://www.futaba.ne.jp/~ishiguro/T-72B.htm

For sources, I have
1 - http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/tank/T-72.html
2 - The Great Book Of Tanks
3 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72
4 - I'll be checking the used book stores for some cheap books featuring the tank
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 07:06 PM UTC
I have chosen Tamiya's 1/35 KV-1B for my next project.

I am still in the very early steps of planing.
First of all I need to chose a color. I have quite a few dark green colors, from wich I can chose. I doubt the Russians had the same sense of "Ordnung muss sein" as the germans, so any dark green color should do.
After market parts: The only am part I might buy for this project is individual tracks.

Weathering: I usually use oil washes. MIG pigment and pastels for weathering. To what dergee I will weather this one, I have yet to deside, since I don't know how I will display this model. I might or might not make a little groundwork for it.

Research: I usually look for reference pictures at primeportal, Tankmaster, Armorama and Google.
http://www.thetankmaster.com/
http://www.primeportal.net/

I rarely plan everything down to the smallest of details. I often make choices as I go along.
 _GOTOTOP