Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
President Ford's address 1975
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 02:55 PM UTC
Not of his house, but to the 3d AD grads in Germany...
Hats off to a polli who can make light when needed!

July 27, 1975

"It Is a very great privilege and pleasure for me to be here with you today, but before I begin I have two questions. The first question is: is it true that the tent over there is filled with good old German beer? Then, the second question is: what are we doing out here?

"I asked one soldier if he drank a lot of beer, and he said, 'Of course not, Sir.' The only trouble is - he then tried to blow the foam off his sauerkraut.

"But everyone of you is entitled to all the beer, sauerkraut and anything else provided today, after your two hard months of intensive field training at Grafenwoehr.

"As your Commander-in-Chief, I'm now issuing orders that tomorrow, Monday, all members of this brigade who participated in the maneuvers will be given an extra day off.

"I'm very, very proud to be here with the tankers, infantry and artillery of one of the most powerful combat brigades in Europe. And I am also just as pleased to be here with your wonderful families.

"Let me say a very special word of commendation to your German partnership units. I thank you for the cooperation you are extending to the United States and our forces. Together, you have developed outstanding skills and qualities that make first-rate fighting men. I am pleased that you are learning from each other

"I deeply appreciate the very high standards of performance and morale of our NATO forces as represented by the Germans and Americans here today, and I thank the Federal Republic and the State of Hesse for the warm, warm hospitality extended to me and to all Americans that are stationed here.

"There is a very deep satisfaction for me in this meeting here with all of you today. It is most rewarding to see first-hand this evidence of our two countries cooperating within NATO and for the common defense. It Is you, together with the other forces of the alliance, who are making our collective security a reality.

"As we pursue peace together, I am aware that not all of the problems in Europe and the world have been solved. And I am convinced that, under present circumstances, the best guarantee for peace is a very, very strong defense.

"As President, speaking here in the presence of our allies, I affirm today that I will not allow our armed forces to be weakened under any circumstances. You deserve the very best equipment and you deserve the strongest support of the citizens you defend.

"Chancellor Schmidt and myself will travel to Helsinki in the next few days to attend the conference on security and cooperation in Europe. It Is not by accident, let me assure you, that I stop to consult with our allies, nor that I now confirm our commitment to Berlin.

"I assure the people of Berlin, from this military base that you soldiers call 'the rock', that I stand behind this rock and behind our commitment to the freedom of Berlin.

"Secretary Kissinger spoke for me when he affirmed our policy on his recent visit to Berlin and our national unity and determination in this regard were voiced earlier this year by Senators Humphrey and Scott.

"Soldiers, of course, do not underestimate the importance of' your mission and its meaning for the entire world. You are the defenders of peace and you have my full and unqualified support and respect. I know that you are doing a great, great job and you, by the demonstrations that you have given in person and by the equipment, you have boosted my morale. And let me express a deep, personal gratitude: I thank you very much for inviting me on this occasion."

Steelheader
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 46 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 07:19 AM UTC
President Gerald Rudoph Ford was buried yesterday in our home town of Grand Rapids, Michigan. He laid in state in the downtown museum named after him. People came from far away to pay tribute to this gentleman, of character, integrity and honor. The news media reported that people stood in line for up to eight hours during the cold Michigan weather. It is reported that over 57,000 people came to particpate in this tribute.

My wife and I stayed home, but watched the proceedings on local television. When President Ford and his family were transported from Grace Episcopal Church to the down town location for the final ceremony we were touched by the crowd's silent show of respect for this man and his family. This is an act not often seen.

Our home is about five miles north of the museum, and when the time came for the 21-gun salute and fly-over by the F-15's we went into the backyard and listened to the booming cannonade from our deck, and watched the F-15's fly from south to north over the Grand River, and when the single aircraft pulled up to form the missing man formation chills of national pride ran up our backs. The sky was a brilliant, clear blue and the later afternoon sun shined brightly on the aircraft, and the climbing jet appeared as a bright star rising to the heavens. Somehow it appeared that Someone in a greater power was also paying a tribute to our former President.

Jerry Ford has gone onto a better place, but he left this country, and perhaops the world, a better place just for being a common man with uncommon character, integrity and honor. This is a lesson for men of all faiths.