TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
What would you like to see on Discovery......
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
History, Military and other channels? What would rub your Buddha?
I'd like to see some proper "walk around" programs. AND they would be done properly too!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:39 PM UTC
I'm pretty happy with Discovery the way it is now. A good mix of all sorts of things. My wife and daughters are always complaining that even with satellite, and 400 channels, they can't find anything to watch. I can ALWAYS find something, on channels like Discovery, History Channel, History International, etc, etc, etc.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Programs which were done for those with an i.q. of more than 50?

Perhaps (horror of horrors) they could even do some serious research over the archive images they use - now THAT would be really original... :-)
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What would you like to see on Discovery....

or as it's known here "The nazi shark channel" .
There was a programme on a while ago comparing the lives of Hitler and Saddam Hussein who thinks up this stuff. The ancient history and paleontology programmes seem to be just made up by people who drink too much coffee pontificating and extrapolating about subjects where very few facts are known.
Actually I'm not complaining I find it all highly entertaining buit I don't watch it for the history. The research in most of the military programmes stinks.
Christmas week Discovery ran Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man every day which I found endlessly fascinating.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 03:04 AM UTC
Discovery channel shows for those of an IQ of 50? Some of those shows don't even require a positive number!

It would be nice if they got back to what they started with. More REAL sciences, engineering. Don't go for the 'bermuda triangle' shows, and I'm sick and tired of watching choppers and cars being rebuilt. There's enough of that on the station.

Sorry, but I can go on for hours about it. And don't get me started on what happened to TLC either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Accuracy.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 09:02 AM UTC
Discovery Channel, I like watching Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters.
History Channel, I like watching Dogfights, Mail Call, and many of the other informational shows.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 09:24 AM UTC
not on topic but I was watching Scrubs, it was the episode where everyone in the hospitals parents' come to visit, R. Lee Ermry was the janitor's father, who promtly made the janitor drop and give him 20 for backtalking when gunny told his "son" he wasn't moppin the floor right.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Goood ol' Gunny.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

not on topic but I was watching Scrubs

Very true. It isn't...
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 07:22 PM UTC
shows that use historic film clips relevant to the narration behind them and not the same old 8-10 clips over and over..
It's getting as bad as Hogan's Heroes with the ONE scene of tanks rolling across the plains used ANYTHIME tanks were needed.

Sadly those channels have gone largely downhill inthe last 2-3 years.

Too much bike week stupidity, too many biker buildoffs.
Enough with the sharks already
Too much Hitler

Mythbusters is fun, so is Drity Jobs
But most of what is there is drivel.

Go back to the tech innovations shows that filled both channels 8-10 years ago. Bring back Solodad Obrien in a wetsuit!

Mike
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 08:21 PM UTC
Remember, these shows are for entertainment purposes, not educational content. If so, we would fall asleep like old grade school film strips from the 60s and 70s.

Clips used during narration are to give idea of the type of action and to add dramatic effect, not necessarily historical accuracy.

Would you prefer more chop shop shows or home improvement makeovers? Even the stunt junkie show reminds me of Jacka$$ the movie type idiocity.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 07:06 AM UTC
The problem with paid channels these days is that almost everyone has one. National Geographic Specials used to be shown on PBS and even ABC, but now Nat. Geo has its own channel, which means less shows for the public viewer. Animal Planet has its own exclusive channel. Now there's the Military Channel with its own shows. So fewer and fewer new specials will be shown on HIST, TLC, and DISC.

A lot of what's shown on TLC, Discovery, and History Channel are also shown and shared among the three. Ever notice that quite a few of the good educational and accurate shows are actually from the British BBC or even CNN and 48 Hours? There are just a whole plethora of channels to choose from to show one's independent science film.

"Mail Call" will always be toned down. I sent them some questions, but I think my questions were so hardcore that "Mail Call" will never investigate them. MC only seems to answer the "I don know nothin!" military questions....or rather "Military 001 for Dummies." If one asks "Which desert camouflage uniform ever made is the best camo in the Middle East?", or "Which modern 7.62mm machine gun is the best and most reliable?", MC won't answer those questions because they're probably considered "sensitive questions." One has to ask, "What is a jeep?", or "What is the difference between the F-15C and F-15E?"

I too watch "Dirty Jobs" and "Mythbusters" on DISC and "Dogfight" and "Shootout" on HIST. I agree with some guys and gals' comments that there are just too many military stuff on these channels. But hey, I don't model dollhouses though, so... :-)

What I'd like Discovery Channel to do is real hardcore investigations. Such as TAPS Ghost Hunting...prove that there are ghosts. TAPS says that this place is haunted and the hosts usually see ghosts with their own two eyes, but (surprise! surprise ) never catch a real full-torso apparition on film (surprised? ). All these paranormal shows seem more geared towards entertainment than actual science and investigation. But, nope, I never emailed DISC or HIST suggestions.

The best science and learning show, hands down, for me for decades has always been PBS's NOVA. NOVA can go toe-to-toe with the BBC.
M4Nut
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 03:15 AM UTC
Don't have a problem with Discovery channel but History channel is starting to piss me off. I just don't know, maybe it's me but what the heck has UFO's , Nostradamous (sp?) and alot of the other stuff they are showing have to do with history? I think this stuff should be shown on the Discovery channel. The US History Channel needs to get the show from UK History on restoration of tanks (can't remember the name, Combat Garage?). The other thing that bugs me is on some shows whenever it comes back from a commercial break they have to recap everything already said. I know they are trying to keep those informed that tune in late but by 45 minutes into the show , it's just annoying.
Eric