TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
cod3 for PC
Airchalenged
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
Anyone know if this will come out for Pc?

Matt
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:33 PM UTC
I wish. But that'll mean you need to spend another 500 bucks or more to upgrade your rig.
Airchalenged
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:54 PM UTC
I would probably play on my uncles computer if it came out. His is alot faster :-)
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 03:15 AM UTC
Sorry guys, its not a PC game.

New Call of Duty skipping PC
Activision CEO reveals that next Call of Duty game won't be for PCs, but rather for next-gen consoles; likely COD spin-off.

By Tim Surette, GameSpot
Posted May 4, 2006 5:27 pm PT

PC gamers have long held onto certain franchises as their own, with popular series like Doom, Quake, and Civilization all originally built with the PC in mind. With the advent of more sophisticated consoles, several PC franchises have made the jump over to the Xbox and PlayStation 2, and more recently the Xbox 360.

One such game that did so with phenomenal commercial success was Activision's Call of Duty 2. The game long held the top slot for best-selling Xbox 360 game and easily outsold any other Xbox 360 launch title. The game enjoyed great success on the PC as well, though the Xbox 360 numbers outshone the PC's as more consoles were fed into the market.

Apparently, Activision was looking at those numbers. In today's postearnings conference call, Activision chairman and CEO Bobby Kotick specifically noted that the next Call of Duty game, due in the company's third quarter of this fiscal year (October 1, 2006 - December 31, 2006), is "not a PC product, it's a console product and it's all next-gen."

All is not lost for the keyboard and mouse crew, however. The game is likely one of the Call of Duty spin-offs and not developed by the franchise's original minds, Infinity Ward. 2005's Call of Duty: Big Red One and 2004's Call of Duty: Finest Hour, both of which received lukewarm reviews, were developed by Treyarch and Spark Interactive, respectively.

More hope comes from news from 2005. According to job listings posted by Infinity Ward just after last year's E3, the company is ramping up its teams for its Call of Duty games as well as a new intellectual property, but applicants should be open to both PC and next-gen console development. Also, Activision expects to release a COD game in its following fiscal year, which keeps in line with a new, full Infinity Ward-developed PC Call of Duty game being released every two years.

Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 03:24 AM UTC
Played it on X-box 360 and it is exellent,just wish it was coming out on PC so i could play it online.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 03:53 AM UTC
A lot of the "port" games don't work as well on the PC as compared to the console. ('Port" means it has been "imported" from console to the PC).

The reason for this is that PCs use mouse and keyboard keys whereas consoles use mini-joystick and hot buttons. I read reviews on two "port" PC games and the ratings were dismal.

ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 06:22 AM UTC
That's unfortunate. It's my understanding that the X-Box and PC versions of games are coded along very similar lines leading to a fairly easy port.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 06:45 AM UTC
The problem with most PC games nowadays is that they're either:

* Full of bugs that need many downloaded patches to fix
* Don't run well on either Intel or AMD CPUs
* Were released incomplete or rushed (most PC games are like this nowadays)
* If a port, is missing this and that feature compared to the console version
* Plays great in single-player or multiplayer, but not both
* Needs streamlined codes for faster play, which means that the game chugs
* Have low replay value
* Are just boring and not fun
* Have super-high PC performance specs
* Have a lot of overlooked issues, nags, lack of research and testing, etc.

To produce a PC game that doesn't have these problems is a truly remarkable feat. Those PC games that do exist without these problems (are there are some) are often highly rated and praised and often are voted "Best PC games of the Year."

Many PC gamers have resorted to buying consoles, or just waiting for reviews to post before deciding to buy which PC games.
Airchalenged
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 08:09 AM UTC
I was just wondering because I tried to play CoD2 for the PS2 and it was a hell of a lot more difficult than on the PC (and it followed a different story line). On a side note numerous BoB stars had voice appearances in CoD2 for the consoles including James Madio (Perconte), Ross McCall (Liebgott), Michael Cudlitz (Randleman), Richard Speight Jr. (Muck), RIck Gomez (Luz), Rene L. Moreno (Ramirez), and Frank John Hughes (Guarnere).
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was just wondering because I tried to play CoD2 for the PS2 and it was a hell of a lot more difficult than on the PC (and it followed a different story line). On a side note numerous BoB stars had voice appearances in CoD2 for the consoles including James Madio (Perconte), Ross McCall (Liebgott), Michael Cudlitz (Randleman), Richard Speight Jr. (Muck), RIck Gomez (Luz), Rene L. Moreno (Ramirez), and Frank John Hughes (Guarnere).

Yes, PC games are often *not* direct copies of the console games, which is why it pays to buy a "Made for the PC" game instead of a "port." Honestly, quite a few console games are much better than the PC "port" version of the same game.

PC games take years to make compared to console games. The reason for this is because no two PCs are exactly alike whereas consoles are all alike. As such, PC game programmers have to ensure (well, at least they should ensure) that the PC game will work on both AMD and Intel CPUs, with such RAM, with this and that video card, with such PC specs, etc.

If you want a good PC game, "Company of Heroes" is excellent, but it's not a FPS game. CoH got a 96% rating from PC Gamer...you can't get much better than that .
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
entire network: 762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 03:03 PM UTC
As far as I have understood it, CoD will never be released for PC. But on the other hand an other programming company will be developing CoD 4, just for PC. But I can't verify this.
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 340 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 06:13 AM UTC
Too bad, as I really like the series of games, but have no interest in buying a console for just one game. I just don't have the time or the extra money as the extra money that would be spent for the console can be used for models instead.

Sean
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
I played COD1 for the PC and it was pretty good. I finished it without cheating and ended up selling it. I can see why it was voted "Game of the Year."

I don't quite remember, but in some missions, one really can run around the battlefield and explore whereas in others, a "magic bullet" prevents you from going in that direction away from the squad, meaning if you go left whereas your AI comrades go right, an enemy bullet kills you for your lack of noncompliance.

Some of the COD1 missions were very fast that one can't examine or enjoy the scenery or the surrounding action or else you'll get killed, which makes sense because in a Real Life battle, you don't go shooting every single enemy you can see unless you have ten arms with guns and eight pairs of eyes.

COD2 I never bought because of this annoying feature gamers criticized. If the player hides and hunkers down, "magic grenades" are lobbed from the ground (as if some invisible ghost is present) onto the player's position! That means you cannot stay in one place for longer than seven seconds before "magic grenades" start falling on your head, forcing you to move forward. Whichever game developer came up with that idea---might dumb, so say the gamers.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 04:55 AM UTC
I actually loved COD2. It was amazing and probably the best shooter that I've seen next to Half-Life 2. The graphics and the improved and ruthlessly efficient AI are amazing. The grenade thing can get a little annoying, but it is easily avoided: ATTACK. By flanking and throwing your own grenades and not staying in one place, you can avoid the AI from relentlessly attacking YOU. In my opinion, its definitely worth getting.

The whole reason why I like the COD series is the storyline and its creativity. But help me if they couldn't find a theatre outside of Europe to make a game. I'm getting tired of WWII games and, failing that, fighting the same damn battles over and over again. Give me something besides Normandy, give me something besides the Bulge, North Africa, Stalingrad...and on and on.

Jeff
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 06:46 AM UTC

Well, there are upcoming multiplayer games that will be in the modern arena. "Battlefield 2" is one of them and so is "Armed Assault." I think another "Brothers in Arms" is due out. I've seen trailers for it.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 09:35 AM UTC
I don't know if any modern games are coming out, outside of Armed Assault which releases in the US in March. Game developers have been fairly reluctant to do many outstanding modern-set PC games, choosing instead to rely on WWII games. I know of a lot of titles (F.E.A.R, Delta Force, etc.), but most can't be considered outstanding. My opinion anyway.

Jeff
Airchalenged
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 01:51 AM UTC
I just played cod3 for ps2 and thought it was great. It was a lot better than I had expected. Does anyone know if any expansions are going to be made for this? Or any more in the series?

Matt
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know if any modern games are coming out, outside of Armed Assault which releases in the US in March. Game developers have been fairly reluctant to do many outstanding modern-set PC games, choosing instead to rely on WWII games. I know of a lot of titles (F.E.A.R, Delta Force, etc.), but most can't be considered outstanding. My opinion anyway.

Jeff

"Command and Conquer 3" is coming out (maybe) in 2007. I saw the trailers and the units seem itty bitty small! Other than that, I don't know of many new games on the horizon. The ones I had my eye on flopped terribly in ratings.

There's CRYSIS, which is produced from the makers of FAR CRY using the same engine. I'd wait for a review on that and really my desire for CRYSIS is low if it follows the same story as difficulty as FAR CRY.
Airchalenged
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 07:02 AM UTC
Brothers in Arms 3: Hells Highway was due out according to an artile written in May "this holiday season" and the date on gamespot is TBA 2007 so I think it comes out soon. I cannot wait for it. :-) :-)

Matt
Airchalenged
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 09:47 PM UTC
This sorta has to do with cod3 and sorta with general history but ill ask it anyway. During the end cinematics for the american portion you are back in the replacement depot (i am assuming you are still nickels) and GUzzo come up to the truck as the new squad leader. After he gives his rule the one kid makes the comment about a great pep talk then Huxley tell him something. Why are nickels and huxley back at the replacement depot? would a entire unit return to take on members or did the officers just go?

MAtt
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 10:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brothers in Arms 3: Hells Highway was due out according to an artile written in May "this holiday season" and the date on gamespot is TBA 2007 so I think it comes out soon. I cannot wait for it. :-) :-)

Matt

That's the game trailer I saw ! The trailer and game developer interviews of "Bro in Arms 3: HH" sounds promising. There are several new features in the FPS for BiA:HH:

* Soldiers make mistakes, meaning if they climb a wall, they'll fall down. Or if they make a mad-dash across the road, some may trip and fall, just as in Real Life.

* The developer says one can run anywhere, even off your battlefield into another battlefield to the right or left. This has yet to be determined. I'm sure the game has some boundaries.

* The game is much more dynamic, meaning your actions will contribute directly to the outcome of the game, and yet the game factors in all the other actions of your comrades and the enemies.

Still, I'm waiting for a review. The game could be nothing more than flanking the enemy all the time. Games are often hyped up during these trailers and the bottom-line is if the game actually has these features and if these features actually work.
Newbie_modeler15
entire network: 29 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 09:51 AM UTC
Not for PC but from what i have heard the wii version is extremely fun.
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 664 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 06:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jeff

"Command and Conquer 3" is coming out (maybe) in 2007. I saw the trailers and the units seem itty bitty small! Other than that, I don't know of many new games on the horizon. The ones I had my eye on flopped terribly in ratings.

There's CRYSIS, which is produced from the makers of FAR CRY using the same engine. I'd wait for a review on that and really my desire for CRYSIS is low if it follows the same story as difficulty as FAR CRY.

Crysis will be using Microsofts new Direct X 10. You'll need a pretty good grahics card to run it too.
Newbie_modeler15
entire network: 29 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jeff

Crysis will be using Microsofts new Direct X 10. You'll need a pretty good grahics card to run it too.

Not just a good graphics card the only cards that supports DX10 is the 8880 series cards plus you will need vista to run them and at least 2 gigs of ram and a 3.0+ ghz processor.
Airchalenged
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Matt

That's the game trailer I saw ! The trailer and game developer interviews of "Bro in Arms 3: HH" sounds promising. There are several new features in the FPS for BiA:HH:

* Soldiers make mistakes, meaning if they climb a wall, they'll fall down. Or if they make a mad-dash across the road, some may trip and fall, just as in Real Life.

* The developer says one can run anywhere, even off your battlefield into another battlefield to the right or left. This has yet to be determined. I'm sure the game has some boundaries.

* The game is much more dynamic, meaning your actions will contribute directly to the outcome of the game, and yet the game factors in all the other actions of your comrades and the enemies.

Still, I'm waiting for a review. The game could be nothing more than flanking the enemy all the time. Games are often hyped up during these trailers and the bottom-line is if the game actually has these features and if these features actually work.

Yeah I have been keeping up with it and MOH Airborne on Gamespot and both look very promising. One is scheduled for Q4 2007 and the other for just 2007 cant remember which is which .

Matt