_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scale calculation help!
hashashim
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hi to everyone at Armorama,

This is my very first post. I'm determined to pick up 1/35th modeling as a hobby. I need specific help in determining the scale of roads, to house structures. Without knowing how to figure this aspect out, it is difficult to begin a project. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much

jbwagesjr
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hashashim

Here is a link to an on line scale calculator all you have to do is put in you measurements in feet/inches or metric chose convert to Armor Scale 1:35 and it will give you the the measurements in inches and mm.

scalecalculator

Hope this helps.
Joe
hashashim
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 03:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the link Joe!

I'm just about to head over to the site now to have a look.

Thanks again
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hashashim,

I had asked this same question some time back. There are several "calculators" out there. THAT's not the problem per se. The biggest issue is trying to determine the 1:1 scale to plug into the calculators. In the planning stages, I have a very "complex" dio that centers around a hotel and a bridge (in 1/35th scale). The hotel was planned to have about nine rooms across the front. No problem, right? Good for a large hotel? Well, at a reasonable 12 foot wide room x nine, you get 108 feet (add some for wall thickness, so call it 111 feet) which equates to over three 1:1 scale feet on the frontage. THAT is BIG!!!

I'm really thinking about reducing the number of rooms to six across the front and may have to reduce their size to 10 feet in width.

I guess what I'm saying is you need to have an idea how big your dio CAN be, size from there, and then use the calculator to give you the 1/35 dimensions. As far as roads go, it really does depend on era and location. Europe, country, dirt....not much wider than maybe a single Tiger tank.....Europe, modern, city, pavement....a couple of Tigers (not that they'd be there of course) wide.

Hope this helps some....a bit of research on your desired "format" will make your build more realistic and save some headaches as you go along.

Mike
hashashim
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 06:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up there Mike.

That's my biggest problem at the moment, trying to find the 1:1 scale to begin with so a conversion can be made from there. Especially relating to buildings, like a rural french home during WW2. I found out a little about upscaling, but it is not too accurate if the reference picture doesn't provide a good perspective.

I'm still determined to experiment and practice and find out what works and what doesn't.

Best of luck with your dio. Can't wait to see pics of it.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 06:23 PM UTC
Another idea that may help....hit the online model shops that sell buildings (like Verlinden or Hansa). They generally indicate the finished size (4" x 6" x 6") and that may help get you in the right ballpark. Verlinden's site does not give the dimentions, but their buildings usually have either a figure or vehicle displayed with them to offer a size comparison. I've had to "compare" a couple of times to get an idea for a building's general dimensions.... Verlinden. Also, if you "Google Image" something like -french house- you'll get several pages of photos that may or may not help. Did that looking for ideas for the facade of my hotel.

Anyhooo, HTH somemore.

Mike
hashashim
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 06:30 PM UTC
Thanks again Mike,

I'll do that, I'll check out the box covers. That's an excellent tip.

By the way a belated Happy New Years to one and all. Have been preoccupied for the last couple of weeks.

Appreciate all the help that's been given!!!
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:04 PM UTC
One idea I have had regarding getting the full scale measurements (1:1)of the original items is workable if there are people in the pics you are working from.

It appears that the first step we have to take when working from old photos of our subjects is to get a reasonable approximate scale represented by the photo itself. My idea is to borrow from forensic anthropology by using measurments of upper and lower legs or arms for seated figures. The height of a standing person would work as well. For example, I have a picture of a gun crew sitting next to their piece. I can measure the length of a thigh in the picture, measure my own thigh and calculate a ratio of the two. (I'm a bit taller than most, so I may have to shave an inch or two off my own measurement to get the length of the thigh of the person in the pic.) I can then apply the ratio to the measurements I take from the pic to calculate the full-size (1:1) measurements of the subject I wish to model.

Similarly, if you have standing figures, you can use approximate measurments for male and female (perhaps 5'10" for the male and 5'4" for the female....adjust for race and era as needed) and use thos measurments to get the ratios to scale the photos.

If there is a way to post an Excel workbook on this site, I'll put together a template to do the calculations.

Dave
volkjagger
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 39 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2007 - 07:57 AM UTC
use this website
http://www.printmini.com/calc.shtml
 _GOTOTOP