Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Tank Museum in Germany?
goose
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC
Well, I'm off to Germany next April for 2 days to the Nurburgring racing track (give my car a run out).
It's in the Effiel Mountains in Germany and I was wondering if anyone knows of any interesting places to visit in the area?? Especially leaning towards my interest in AFV's.

I'm hoping to rebuild my colection of photos after the death of my HDD and the loss of my entire collection
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 02:47 AM UTC
Um here?
Germany -

1st Armored Division Museum - Baumholder
1st Infantry Division Museum - Würzburg
Historisch-Technisches Informationszentrum Peenemünde - Peenemünde
KDF-Bad PRORA - Prora
Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr - Berlin
Marine-Ehrenmal - Laboe
Maritim Museum U461 - Peenemünde
Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr - Dresden
Panzer Museum - Munster
Stasimuseum - Berlin
Technisches Museum U 995 - Laboe
Technikmuseum U-Boot Wilhelm Bauer - Bremerhaven
Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung - Koblenz
Westwall Museum - Pirmasens

and here's descriptions - scroll to Germany and clicky away!
http://www.warmuseums.nl/landindx.htm
(p.s. don't mention that whole Hitler-Nazi thing they are a little sensitive about that )
goose
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(p.s. don't mention that whole Hitler-Nazi thing they are a little sensitive about that )

lol - I do get that impression

Thanks!
habicht
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 31 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 02:40 AM UTC
Some more

Its in german, hope thats not a problem. Depends how far you're willing to drive...not too much there in the near of the Eiffel area. You could visit the remains of the Westwall, some fortifications are preserved in the area.

Indeed, we are sensitve in this matter(Quite understandble, isn't it), but mainly it depends HOW you mention it.
Tankcommander
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
entire network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi.

At first, I would recommend a journey to the "Panzermuseum Munster". You can check that here

The whole Hitler-Nazi thing: it is very interesting when you, as a german citizen, come for example to england or america and you say that you are a german nearly everybody clap its boots, raise the right arm and say heil hitler

Quoted Text

Indeed, we are sensitve in this matter(Quite understandble, isn't it), but mainly it depends HOW you mention it.

I think this is a good opinion
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 05:06 AM UTC
I'm sorry to hear that Nico.

Having served in a lot of places all over the world, Germany is probably one of the nicest countries I've ever been in and I've been there three times with the Military and all over the country.

Clean, neat, tidy, well kept and generally, beautiful scenery.

The Germans I've met are (normally) a bit reserved (no problem with that, so are most Brits) - however they are also very friendly, helpful and incredibly polite. They usually have a great interest in why you are in their country and take great pride in showing you the best of Germany and Germans.

To be quite honest, if I meet any Germans in Scotland (now I'm back) I'll be delighted to give them the hospitalty I generally received in their country.

Tankcommander
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
entire network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi murdo

Nice to hear. It is right, that in germany it is not easy to deal with the "Third Reich Theme". Since 60 years the people where educated to excuse everytime for this and if you say, you are proud to be a german, then you are a nazi.
Also many yews didn´t get tired to say, all germans are nazis. For example Steven Spielberg don´t want to work with german actors, because "he don´t know who is standing in front of him in this moment."

So the whole thing won´t work

kind regards
Nico
habicht
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 31 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:32 PM UTC
Good to hear that, Murdo.

Quoted Text

The whole Hitler-Nazi thing: it is very interesting when you, as a german citizen, come for example to england or america and you say that you are a german nearly everybody clap its boots, raise the right arm and say heil hitler

I think, only people who've never been to germany (at least not in the last 60 years) can do such things.
A really strange thing happend to me, almost a year ago, when i was still serving in the Heer. I stood in uniform on a train station, waiting for my way home. A quite nice looking older couple (late 50s, earlie 60s) came near, and asked me to show them some directions on a map, because they didn't really find their way. They were american tourists, at least i guess so, cause their english sounded like american english. They were really polite, and i was glad to help them. Then the man asked me, still polite and very serious, if i were a wehrmacht soldier or waffen-ss. First i thought, that it was a quite bad joke, but seemingly he really thought, that wehrmacht and SS still exist in germany (And thus, the nazis still be at power). Im not sure how this can be possible.

But we are really getting off topic...

SSJugend
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:45 PM UTC
Thanks alot for this map!... Im going in a few years and wanted to know where most of them were!
amerikaner
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 34 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 05:00 PM UTC
Nico & Jan, I was in Germany in '03 for a few months before going to Bosnia. My wife and I are coming in the fall. We're starting in London then to Normandy, Bastogne, and Berlin and finally Munich. Where are some "must see" places in Berline and Munich (I missed the Hofbrauhaus when was there, gotta visit)?? Danke!
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 09:03 PM UTC
If you are going to Munich then I would recomend a visit to Deutches Museum wich is quite close to the center - is a big technical museum. Outside town and close to Dachau is Deutsches Museum's Flugwerft Schleißheim - and ofcause the Dachau KZ camp

At Marien Platz is a toy museum thats quite nice too. Very close to Marien Platz is a shop called Manufactum thats very interesting t0 snoop around in - they only sell "all the good stuff" - preview here www.manufactum.dk

Then theres the Olympia Centrum - the place for the illfated olympic games in 1972.

Theres allso a lot of art and architacture around - and some remnants of Albert Speers designs. warm up here: http://www.thirdreichruins.com/munich.htm

You should find yourself one of the nice beergardens and enjoy some of the local brews and Weißwürste with sweet mustard and a Breze (pretzel).

Have fun

Vermont6
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 155 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 02:58 AM UTC
I am stationed in Germany and this is handy, thanks for the map