_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Best rotary tool to use
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 259 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 09:33 PM UTC
Hi
I was just wondering what you fellows think is the best rotary tool to get for our modelling purposes at this time?

Any advice is appreciated. I'm looking for my first one, and not sure where to start.
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 577 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 09:59 PM UTC
I have 2 rotary tools, a Dremel and a Canadian Tire generic (can't remember the brand name ) I really like the Cdn Tire one as it came with a stand (telescoping post) , a flex line, has variable speed and came with an array of bits, sanding drums etc. Best was the cost of $30 Cdn. You can use it with or without the flex attachment.
The Dremel I piked up at the Hock Shop for $15 and use it often for certain jobs.
I really like the Cdn Tire version for its economy and versatility.

Hope this helps,

Doug

cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 10:15 PM UTC
I have read in many places that the Dremel Minimite is the best for modeling due to it's low speed. It will allow you to drill thru plastic without melting it. I have one and it works fine for me. I even gave away my regular Dremel.
HTH
Chuck
waterlily
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 59 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 10:33 AM UTC
I use a Dremil high speed with a separate variable speed control with this setup I can get very low revolutions. I have not had any problems with melting plastic and have used several different cutting heads. When I purchased this tool back in the 80’s they did not have variable speed Dremels available so I don’t know how low a speed the newer tools will turn down to .my advise is to buy one with as low a revolution as you can get. My sister in-law has her own nail business and has purchased a tool which has very low rev’s so as not to burn her customers I can ask next time I see her where she got it.

Merry Christmas Everybody
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
I have one from Sears. It may not be the best but you sure can get alot of bits for it. It has the flexible extension which I find so much better than having the bit in the machine.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 08:52 AM UTC
I have a single speed Dremel that I bought 25 years ago. I get low revs with a light dimmer switch hooked to a power outlet that I plug the Dremel into. They say that this can reduce the life of the tool, but mine has cut everything from styrene to steel bars for 25 years with no complaints. It's a tank.

I have a Minimite that I like a lot. The low revs are really good and it is light and handy. However it doesn't have the guts to do tough jobs, like shaping cured epoxy putty or cutting metal. The battery charge won't last long under a sustained load.

Paul
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 06:54 PM UTC
Ahoy zokissima,

Check in with CDN TIRE......they sell a JOBMATE kit . I have seen this tool and
it comes complete with a case, flex shaft and many accessories and best of
all ....... CDN TIRE put it on sale from time to time at $ 9.95 !

What can possibly go wrong at $ 9.95 !

Alternative.......DREMEL......$$$$$..... but here you can be sure that the tool will
be of service for many years to come.

Cheers,
Joe
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hey, if you have a Princess Auto in the area, they have a variable speed motor tool WITH a flex shaft and hanger and accessories on sale for $17.99 this week!
http://www.princessauto.com/moreinfo.cfm?TAG=55590&SCAN=CAN
I picked one up today. Hell of a deal, and seems to work pretty good too.

I mostly use a Dremel mini-might for model work (and I've seen them sold in sporting goods stores as a 'golf club cleaner'!), but quite often around the house I need a larger one for grinding and cleaning duties.

Cheers,
Jim
 _GOTOTOP