TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Silent hunter III
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 01:29 PM UTC
I got a pc game called silent hunter 3.and its a very good game.

but i carnt seem to sink many ships as my torpedoes miss there targets most of the time.also is there away of using the deck guns so you can control them yourself?

any help please.

kind reguards

karl
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:25 PM UTC
Yes, it is a good game. As for the torpedoes are you just using the TDC, torpedo data computer, do the calculations when you shoot, or do you estimate everything yourself? If you do it yourself you have to be VERY good to hit anything. Be sure to get as close as you can. One thing you can do is you do the estimates yourself is have your weapons officer give his calculations It's one of the options under the weapons officer. I always turn off the magnetic exploder as it's pretty worthless, at least early war. I also set the depth a bit lower than recommended.

As to the deck gun you can control it yourself. I think if you just go to F-10 that is the deck gun control. You can choose between three different magnification levels and I always try to use the closest one so I can see the ship a large as possible.

I'll load up the game tonight or tomorrow and if you haven't gotten any other specific responses I'll post more detailed info, either here or in a PM.

jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 03:09 PM UTC
Do a search for a free addon called Grey Wolves X, it will blow your socks off. make sure that you get all of the updates from the Silent Hunter III website. A useful resource is found at Subsim.com, in the download section are many mods that add a great deal to the game.

Happy hunting.

John
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 07:41 PM UTC
Thanks Rodger,after reading your post i sunk 4 ships,a carrier, 2 merchent ships and a fishing boat for the hell of it :-) :-) .

And thanks also john

reguards

karl
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 08:36 PM UTC
They really did a nice job with the water effects in the game. There's a new version on the horizon so keep your eyes open, it won't be long!!!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They really did a nice job with the water effects in the game. There's a new version on the horizon so keep your eyes open, it won't be long!!!

Isn't the rumor that this time they will go back to their roots and make it a US Pacific version? I love the game but I always feel a bit uneasy sinking ships flying the Red and White ensigns.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 09:38 PM UTC
Silent Hunter IV is returning to the Pacific Fleet Boats and hopefully will have the lifeguard and recce missions as before. The screen shots that are about are making it look like a really good game in the offing.

John
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 11:40 PM UTC
Just wait until you stumble onto your first convoy, especially early on they are like a buffet feast. About the mid-point in the war, it gets increasingly tough to attack convoys. Very challenging and addicting sim!