TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Great documentary on Marine Corps boot camp
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 12:36 AM UTC
I've finally found a really solid documentary on Marine Corps boot camp, it's called "Ears Open, Eyeballs Click". It's an independent movie, there's NO narration and very little music, just video shot at MCRD San Diego. For the first time, you see the non-PC version of boot camp, although it's still a bit watered down compared to the real deal this is as close as anyone's ever gotten to catching the boot camp experience on film. There are some annoying things with the movie, the director stays WAY too long on a field day sequence and there are some stupid shots in the film but he does get quite a few great scenes in there as well. The director had great access to all aspects of boot camp, now we just need one done from the Parris Island side.

Here's a taste of a couple of scenes from Youtube (WARNING: There's language in these so be advised if you have little kiddies present) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYVBlXGuVYg and one from pugil sticks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuctkYYywZ0

Will bring back memories for other Marines out there, a definite must have for my fellow Devil Dogs.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 08:17 AM UTC
My wife kept asking me why I was laughing and thought that was funny. It just is now that I'm on the other side of that! Memories Aren't they precious!
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 01:43 PM UTC
Hmm...
I thought Sgt. Hartman was only a fictional character....

But what's the point with of all that yelling? What was that the drill instructor had to say? Something about de-hydration and a trainging course.
I guess this is all about being pushed to one's physical and psychological limits, but that two-officers-yelling-at-your-face-simultaneusly seems irrtational to me.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 03:25 AM UTC
Yea, those memories are something else.

The yelling is all part of the program to motivate you to go to your limit and beyond, to stop thinking and acting like a civilian. The DI wanted him to sound off as he said, short, sharp and fast (everything you say in boot camp is that way) and he wanted to know why he didn't go through the course. The kid was one of the lame and lazies it sounded like to me, he was claiming to be dehydrated and then to top it all off, once the course was completed he told the corpsman he was feeling better. So in essence, he played sick so he wouldn't have to crawl around in the mud in the infil course, then magically said he was doing better when his group was through.

The kid was playing games to try to get over, if he was a real heat/hydration casualty he would have been tended too and wouldn't have gotten his butt chewed. He wasn't so the two DI's go all over him, he's not putting out up to the standards. I would have loved to see what happened to him off camera, later that night or the next day he was probably PT'd to death. lol

Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 08:24 PM UTC
Okay, now I get the big picture.
Without seeing the whole film, that single clip seemed a little irrationatal. Like that guy's just doing his job, getting dehydrated, and pow!, two DI's start yelling at point blank range because he got dehydrated.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 04:31 PM UTC
I saw the clip and other scenes. And I thought that kind of thing was only limited to the Vietnam-era Marines.

From what I learned, DI's can no longer beat up recruits who don't measure up (like what Gunny Hartmann did in FMJ; I dunno if DI's can "love tap" a recruit like Swoff's DI in Jarhead) hence the yelling and more than one DI will be over the poor recruit.