History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
'What if'......
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 10:17 AM UTC
What if Hitler never tried to make one final offensive push in late 1944 known as The Battle Of The Buldge and kept those units within Berlin to actually help defend the battered Third Riech's capitol?
Tanks
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 12:20 PM UTC
My view would be that the Russian Juggernaut would have taken them out almost as quickly. They were just not sufficient to stand against them.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 12:34 PM UTC
I think that Russian numerical superiority would have still been so overwhelming that the additional divisions would have only delayed the inevitable by a short time. The only tangible result would have been more Germans taken prisoner by the Russians than by the Western Allies. Now, if the Germans had decided to employ those units for defense in the west, that front would not have collapsed as rapidly as it did. By making the Western Allies attack into the teeth of a defense based on heavy armored SS units, the Germans could have inflicted crippling casualties and bled the attackers white. Still, with the success of the Soviet winter offensive, any plans for a strengthened defense in the west would have to have been changed to compensate for the crushing blows dealt by the Red Army. No matter what the Germans did, defeat by the middle of 1945 was almost inevitable.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 03:31 AM UTC
I wonder if that was the case, would the allies have let the russians take berlin?? If all those king tigers and resources had slowed the russain winter offensive and the way had been easier for the US/BRIT/CAN forces in the west, would the high command have rolled over and just let the russians take Berlin? My bet is that they probably still would have. The manpower shortage facing the allies (particularly the brits and canucks) would have kept them from getting into a meatgrinder battle in the streets of Berlin. How many men did the russians lose in berlin?? The western allies wouldn't have made such a sacrifice for the "prestige" of taking the capital.
CharlesLatham
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 66 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What if Hitler never tried to make one final offensive push in late 1944 known as The Battle Of The Buldge and kept those units within Berlin to actually help defend the battered Third Riech's capitol?

This would have given the RAF and the USAAF a chance to destroy many divisions in a small area. The war would be over by March at the latest. I guess
Paul160
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 102 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 08:26 AM UTC
the only thing that would have changed would be the siege of berlin would have lasted longer. montgomery had requested for orders to allow him to take berlin, but he was not allowed. berlin could have been taken by the allies, but do to politics the soviets were allowed to take berlin. Berlin was the soviets prize for there suffering. so my conclusion is that wwII without the battle of the bulge would have had little impact on the conclusion of the war. The allies would have pushed on, but never actually attacked berlin.

Cheers,
Paul
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2003 - 02:48 PM UTC
The Allied forces, would of been able to concentrate their power on just a town, versus miles and miles of area. Thats just my opinion. I guess only one person would really know what would of happened.

Chip
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2003 - 07:58 PM UTC
It would have slowed the Russian juggernaut up a bit. The only difference would have been the US and British forces would have gained more ground and the size of East Germany would have been smaller. The war might have lasted a couple of weeks longer in Europe