_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Mig 15
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 01:02 AM UTC
Like Lewis I am looking at starting a new kit. Unlike Lewis I already have loads, about 30, on the go at the moment. Not only that but I can't actually get near my modelling bench to actually do any modelling. My eldist daughter has moved out and we are in the middle of moving rooms around. This is good news as I will have a room still dedicated to my modelling (and PC) but I will be able to be much better organised and actually have more room The penalty for this is that I am stuck for modelling room until after Christmas. Not totally true but getting to my bench is a bit awkward.

Anyway, getting to the point of this thread. Because I haven't been doing any modelling I have been doing alot of browsing through my stash. All this has acheived though is to make me itch to get back to modelling. I want to do, and have been wanting to do, for some time, another NMF (Natural Metal Finish) and I have decided that, one way or another, I will build my Tamiya Mig 15. I have had this kit for years, since about 1991/2 and got it at less than 1/2 price. I also have the Eduard etched set for it as well which even then doesn't take the price over the price of the orioginal kit I have a couple of magazine articles which sort out the cockpit colours and I like one of the kit schemes, for which I reckon I can paint the markings on. Don't hold your breath, but I'm doing a Tamiya 1/48 Mig 15........................................soon

Mal
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 02:48 PM UTC
Mal - Snap. I have already started my mine and it is in the painting stage. I am doing the chinese version with the camo. The camo has been painted in oil paints and the rest is hand painted. I must get some photos uploaded. It is a great kit. Are you doing yours with the engine open to view? Mine is going in a small dio. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Ross
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 02:33 AM UTC
Nice one Ross, I like the camo scheme but I just see a Mig 15 in NMF and I like the kit scheme with the red lightning flash. I wont be having the engine on display, Like to see the lines of the aircraft that I model. I will likely do an F-86 to follow as I'm itching to do more NMF's Like I say, don't hold your breath though, it won't be happening today, but I do intend to start it soon.
Mal
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
Hi Mal,
Has the Tamiya Mig 15 got recessed or raised panel lines ?
Which F-86 have you got.
I have built and am going to do another Italeri kit, and have another F-86 D Sabre dog in my to do pile. Both will be NMF and in Philippine Air Force markings.
Andy
P.S Ross, what happened to the F-86 you were working on ?
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 03:59 AM UTC
i now own at least half the alclad range and have picked up a few kits that have nmf options that include a spitfire XVI that i so liked in the alternative camo scheme as well as the nmf, i bought another one at telford! also i have a supermarine S6B kit that ive been after for a while, a heinkel 178 and from the archives a matchbox gladiator kit
2007 will be the year of nmf for me i think!
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 01:46 PM UTC
Mal - both should be great. I just liked the camo and thought i'd paint the cam in oil paints by hand. see what it comes out like after the weathering is complete. Though it would be nice in NMF.

Quoted Text

Hi Mal,
Has the Tamiya Mig 15 got recessed or raised panel lines ?
Which F-86 have you got.
I have built and am going to do another Italeri kit, and have another F-86 D Sabre dog in my to do pile. Both will be NMF and in Philippine Air Force markings.
Andy
P.S Ross, what happened to the F-86 you were working on ?

Andy - the f-86 is on hold the canopy is damaged on mine. Basically the front left side corner is missing. A problem in the moulding process i suspect. I need to get hold of a new one at some stage. The Mig has recessed panel lines and come with a full engine. This is one kit you can build with no PE except for seat harnessess.

Ross
tuffners3169
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 08:37 PM UTC
Mal I look forward to seeing this model on the site once finished.
Lewis Tuffnell
 _GOTOTOP