_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Track Trouble
StUkaWang
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 04:24 AM UTC
Hey there,
I'm now working on a Tamiya T 62A (birthday present, not really my favourite but what the heck...)
The build is beautiful but the tracks are giving me a huge headache. Why? Because they don't "stick" to the wheels.
1. How do you make them "stick" to the wheels?
2. Do you have any other method of joining the tracks together ( apart from heat, that is. I tried CA glue on the tracks of the previous model with bad results..) #:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 04:32 AM UTC
Here are a couple of quick options:
1. Keep track down with thread around the wheel axle and through the track links
2. drill a hole in the hull and insert a thin wire that will extend from the hull out over the track to keep it down. Hide with weathered mud.

1. Keep tracks to gether with - hope and prayer - Really rubber cement sometimes works if its not streatched to tight.
2. Use staples (never done it my self) is one option I've seen posted.
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 05:24 AM UTC
I just had this problem the othe week. I use Eileens tacky glue. It can be found in most craft stores...Hobby Lobby, Michaels, et al. I squirted it onto the wheels and clamped the tracks to it. It worked like a charm.

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 06:49 AM UTC
I can relate to your problem !! I have had trouble with those heated blobs too...I have used thread and sown the treads together this works better than the staples and is easier to hide ..as for holding down the tracks my favorite method is to drill holes in the sides of my kit and insert straight pins from inside I then use pieces of plastic styrene cut to the right height to prop up the pin from the inside .(I usually make a notch in the plastic so the pin won't move) Once I have adjusted the plastic to the right height for the sag I want I just glue everything in place .Just did this 2 nights ago to get my LVT tracks to stay down (but no sag in these tracks!) Hope this helps!

Rick
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC
I've used both the thread around the axle and pin from inside methods and both work fine. On the Tamiya T-62 I did, I used the thread method to hold the tracks down against the wheels and i also used thread to tie the tracks together. It has worked well. I made the model 3 years ago and the tracks are still down against the wheels and they haven't come apart.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC
I've got a set of Techmod (or are they Skif?) individual tracks for the Skif T-64 (and other Soviet tank variants, I forget which). I wonder if they can be used on the T-62? They may not be the exact/correct tracks, but they may be close enough to work.
MrFritz
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 04:52 AM UTC
I'd say try to get an extra thick version of super glue. They sell it at most hobby shops. I used on my Panzer IVJ and not only did it stick like a champ, but it allowed me to form the tracks around the bogies to simulate the weight of a real track. I held the tracks in place for about 45 seconds until the glue set. Every once in a while I would blow on the dab of glue to help it set. People ask me what my add-on tracks are, but these are Tamiyas rubber bands.

Take a look:

azizmaz
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 06:04 AM UTC
I just use elmers glue all. Stuff something inbetween the track and tank fender to stick it down until it dries. It's simple but works good.
StUkaWang
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 28 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:12 PM UTC
Right, thanks for your replies. I think i'll know what to do . now..
:-)
 _GOTOTOP