Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Grand Canyon Skywalk
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC
Okay, who'd be willing to take a walk on this glass bottomed "Skywalk?"

Here's the full Snopes story.
For me, I'd need a a whole lot of liquid persuasion!
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 07:29 PM UTC
I Think i'll pass.

It's a great idea though, but i found that to get an overall picture of the canyon flying over it in a helicopter was fine.

Think the legs would give up.

Andy
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:47 AM UTC
I wouldn't mind trying it. My puls will no doubt go crazy and I would try not to think about the Tacoma narrows bridge.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 06:31 PM UTC
I'm deathly afraid of heights, and yet I have no trouble being on top of a very tall building, or in an airplane, or even the rim of the Grand Canyon. It seems my fear is directly in proportion to my chances of falling. I think this thing would put it to the test. I suppose it would depend on if the thing was swaying in the breeze of not. I'd like to try it someday though.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 04:13 AM UTC
You need to check out this photo CN Tower glass floor Bout 1100 feet above the city of Toronto Canada... Make you really happy when you get back down.... :-) :-) :-)

Dave
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 04:18 AM UTC
The skywalk was in Popular Science. There's a lot of engineering discussion about the draft winds rising up from the canyon.

Personally, I'd be scared not because of the heights or that the skywalk isn't strong enough, but for the other variables most engineers don't factor in such as too many people on it, lots of kids jumping up and down, snow load, sun's heat, some jerk decides to skydive right into it, another jerk decides to bungie off of it...all that crazy stuff that might cause it to fail because it wasn't engineered for such things. If people were behaved, fine, but many are not.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 05:39 AM UTC
Mind over matter...

I'd love to have a walk on that. Just imagine 'walking in the air' whilst being supported by a structure designed to cope with the strain... The only problem I would have with the other 120 people on it is just them..I would like to be on my own.

Bring it on.

Cheers
Henk
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only problem I would have with the other 120 people on it is just them..I would like to be on my own.

Henk

My thoughts EXACTLY!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 12:45 AM UTC
NO WAY! The good lord gave me feet to stand upon the earth and thats where mine are staying. A little story, many years ago I had a job as a tourist guide on Tower Bridge in London one day a eldery chap was sweating and shaking on the entrance to the covered ways which span the river his wife in a german accent said he was scared of heights could I help him, bit of smooth talking I managed to get him across, then he tells me he was a fallsturmjager in the war so natrually I picked his brain,then i asked if he was scared jumping from a plane.he told me it was easy when you got a size ten jackboot up your backside from the feldwebel :-)
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm deathly afraid of heights, and yet I have no trouble being on top of a very tall building, or in an airplane, or even the rim of the Grand Canyon. It seems my fear is directly in proportion to my chances of falling. I think this thing would put it to the test. I suppose it would depend on if the thing was swaying in the breeze of not. I'd like to try it someday though.

Man oh man, I know that feeling!!!!! My trouble begins when I can't get a perspective of how far away something is. It even hit me at a height of about 2 feet one time! Don't know why I have it, it came on all at once when I was on a hotel balconey.

I'd still love to try and see if I could walk on it. Well........maybe crawl on my belly around it with my eyes closed.