_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Making 1/72 scale bolts, rivets and nuts
cliftonra
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 10:33 AM UTC
I'm tyrying to figure out away to create the smallest of nuts, bolts and rivets. It seems like the smallest that I can create is .018" in diameter. I'd like to get something about 1/2 of that size. And, if I do find a way to create such a thing, how would I ever attach it to the model?

I'm sure I am not the first person to have this problem and so I'm sure that someone has figured out a way to do this. right? ;-)

I wrote to Archer Transfers and recommended that they create a sheet with these small items, but I seem to recall that they tried this once before and I guess it didn't sell because it is no longer on their website.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Bob Clifton
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:56 PM UTC
I've used the Archer rivets on a Blackhawk window frame. While they're probably even larger than scale, they're almost too small to bother with, especially after painting. A little dry brushing might bring them out.
As for the rivets, that's pretty small. Is this a scratchbuild? If so, you can use an appropriately sized toothed wheel or gear, and run it along the back side. I've used it for railroad structures and such. One other method I've used is pinpoints of super glue on a needle, but it was only for a few rivets. Any more than that would get tedious fast.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
entire network: 1,208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 08:28 PM UTC
Easiest method form me is white glue applied with toothpick. If the rivet is too flat, just repeat procedure in the same spot. Nice and easy, and if you dont like the efect just wipe it off

Cheers
Greg
 _GOTOTOP