Hosted by Matt Leese
Diaphragm compressors
BkSnafu
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
This post will reveal how much of a beginner I am in this.

I've read some of the threads here on the use of differnt compress/air-brush combos and additions of regulators & water Traps but I need a few things clarified if anyone can help.

I just purchased a badger 150-4 dual action AB. Also, purchased A badger 180-10 diaphragm compressor (1/10 HP, 2cfm, 30 psi) but have not picked it up yet.
1. With this diaphragm compress--do I need a regulater & watertrap or are they already with it (possibly internally)??---no description of inclusion of same features is on the listing at badger.

2. Wil the above combo be suitable for my needs??--have a 1:72 scale reville sub and 1:350 scale trumpeter battleship (plastic &resin) on order
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
A Diaphragm Type compressor Is fine for Airbrushing (Hobby) and that's about it. A regulator & Moisture trap are recomended. the reg. might be included it's hard to say for sure.....
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 04:57 PM UTC
Yep a regulator would be good. A Moisture trap on any Compressor is always a good idea.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 05:50 PM UTC
I have a diaphragm compressor, that I bought from a local "DIY" type shop, and its never caused me any problems. I had to buy a regulator extra, as it didnt come with.
Im not 100% sure, but I dont believe you need a water trap .. as this is something that is needed more in the tank/compressed air, version. Ive never had one and never felt the need for one. Things may change though between different climates, seasons, locations, humidities, etc.

One thing I can recommend though, is to get a longer hose to your brush, and/or with a bigger interior diameter. This works as a small air reserve, and will reduce any problems with a pulsating air supply. This would be especially noticeable when making fine lines!

_GOTOTOP