Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 04:34 AM UTC
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/blog.htm
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 08:36 AM UTC
Having not yet been deemed worthy of access to the Dragon Publicity sit..sorry, that should be Fan Club site, I have not been able to make my own opinion on what it's like, or what it's worth. I have been using Terry's PMMS website for as long as I have been on the net, and my opinion of his site is very high.

Has anybody been able to post anything on the Dragon Fanclub site yet?
Or is it just Mr. Blogger?

slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 340 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 09:13 AM UTC
It is ashame that a person who spends their own money and time to review materials is attacked (apparently) by a company. they should by all rights be thanking him as I am sure more people have bought their kits based on his reviews then by other sources. I for one, when I got back into the hobby only really knew about tamiya and was apprehensive about buying something from a company like Dragon whom I knew nothing about. but based on his reivews I bought some Dragon kits that I would probably otherwise not considered.

Additionaly, I am sure that consrtuctive criticism like his has helped Dragon by getting them to correct mistakes in kits, which their willingness to do so has helped propel their kits to level of respect they have today. It is ashame that he has to waste his time defending himself over what amounts to a minor criticism or two of the halftrack and other kits, that he even summarizes as overall very good and worth the cash.

Terry I for one thank you for all of your hard work. It is definately appreciated. Keep it up please.

Sean
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:00 AM UTC
I have seen the reviews in question, and if I remember correctly they only picked on a few very minor things and even stated that overall they were excellent and recommended kits.
It still escapes my grasp why they would attack positive reviwes based on one or two little things. Instead of making the page linked (from the page this link takes you to, there in another) trying to prove why he is wrong, and completely twisting his words....why not do what admit it with an explanation. Why not say something like "we got the wrong welds, but there is such a differance in Shermans, from factory to factory, model to model, and over time, that we simply made a small error."
Adolph
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
entire network: 171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:02 AM UTC
Hmmmmm My opinion of the Dragon Company's ethics in regard to getting their kits reviewed and their reaction to any fair criticism sinks even lower when a fine impartial independent reviewer like Terry Ashley is taken to task for pointing out some anomalies, and is misquoted by The Dragon Company spokespersons who are English as a second language speakers.
I have just ordered Eight Dragon kits due to the recommendations of Mr Ashley and some Armorama reviewers, Had this blown up before I placed the order I would have reconsidered the decision to do so

Thanks for posting the link to Terry's Blog Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:10 PM UTC
Hmmm..... I have to admit that I don't quite see the heart of the complaint here. After reading Terry's blog and reading the Dragon Insider page I am not really sure who is right and if anyone has indeed been the victim of "personal attacks". If anything I just see a modeling company standing by it's decision to release the welds as their reference material indicates they should be done. Why is it 100% conclusive that either party is correct here. No empirical evidence has been shown (or likely could be shown) saying that a weld is ALWAYS the same way on every variant. Sorry but this sounds a bit like an argument we had a few weeks back about the air pressure in tires.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP