_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
flat finish for AFV
class
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 06:24 AM UTC
Any one know how to achieve a flat finish on military MBT & APC.I use a airbrush for most of my finishes.
Thanks jim
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 1,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any one know how to achieve a flat finish on military MBT & APC.I use a airbrush for most of my finishes.
Thanks jim

The best way I know of is to add either Tamiya or Gunze Flat Base to your paint (assuming Acrylics ONLY).
If you are using enamels then after allowing a good period of hardening/drying (2-3 days at least) overspray a flat lacquer such as Testors Dullcote or my new favourite Gunze Flat (I use it out of the spray can).
Cheers
Al
class
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 02:49 PM UTC
Thanks Al.
I'm sorry I should have given more info,yes I do use Acrylics ,I use the craft ones. I have been using these for many years and have never had any problems and I pick them up when they are on special in the 59ml container and they are so easy to clean up and thin with water. Why I wanted to know if there was a super flat finish to spray over the finished project,is that I sometimes fit a lot of the smaller after market items on last and I do get those shiny spots,just wanted something to spray over as a last coat to get that overall flat finish.Now I am wondering if the 2 products you mentioned would work in the floor polish I use to give me a gloss finish and send it flat?
Thanks Jim.
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 915 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 04:49 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

I have used both the acrylic dullcote and the testors brand and I always seem to come back to testors dullcote .

The dullcote stinks and you need a lot of ventillation when spraying it but I have never had any shiny spots .
I have used humbrol matt 49 dullcote as well but to dull down a vehicle ,figure or whatever .I have always used the testors dullcote.

Also as a small note the Testors dullcote will become shiny if you do use too much thinners .

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Michael

sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 607 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 07:26 PM UTC
Jim

You can order Pollyscale Flat clear at your local LHS, if they do not stock it. alternatively Vallejo flat is excellent as well.

PS flat is the best around IMHO.

cheers

Mike
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:32 PM UTC
Another option is Gunze Acrylic clear flat (H-20) which is pretty widely available here. This can be airbrushed straight from the bottle (ie. no thinning) if you wish, but can be thinned if you desire. The only downside is that it isn't quite totally flat and gives you a flat-to-eggshell finish.

Tamiya Flat Base (X-21) can be mixed with Tamiya Clear (X-22) or one of the local Future alternatives in a ratio of about 4 parts clear to 1 part flat base. Too much flat base and it will start to become translucent white rather than clear.
 _GOTOTOP