_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
styrene balls
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 05:45 AM UTC
any suggestions on how I can make styrene balls about 1 -1.5 mm wide? Ultimatley what I am looking to make is a piece that would look like I cut a ball into four even pieces. using one of the quarters as the bottom of a tube outlet. Hope that makes sense. I have included a link what I want to make is the bottom piece on the right hand side connected to the tube

http://tanxheaven.com/m2/m3-003.jpg
coldwarrior
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:44 AM UTC
I really dont know how I would make them other than laminating a shaping it on a mandrel. Although it might be too small to put on a bit to work it. They do sell a lot of different sizes at Plastruct though.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:45 AM UTC
Gday GF
Looking at your photo, do you mean the round shaped part that has a couple of bolts in the bottom of it? If so, why don't you use some putty or similar? Roll it into the size you need, then carve a little out whilst still malleable, and apply... Possibility? I assume you are just making the one...
Cheers
Brad
Phant3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 36 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 02:56 AM UTC
My suggestion would be to use a different material than styrene. I'd say some lead foil would make the compound shapes you need alot easier than plastic. Then add a few bolt heads to finish it off.

Model on,

Clair
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,349 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gday GF
Looking at your photo, do you mean the round shaped part that has a couple of bolts in the bottom of it? If so, why don't you use some putty or similar? Roll it into the size you need, then carve a little out whilst still malleable, and apply... Possibility? I assume you are just making the one...
Cheers
Brad

Yea miliput or something. That or you have to have a scrap of something somewhere that is close enough??? Corner of a sprue, spare exhaust scrap, tie rod, hull fitting-something.... If you build dragon kits you get about 400 leftovers per kit :-) Could just be a just bent piece of heated sprue trimmed at the elbow and a styrene/scrap PE fret 'plate' with spare bolts shaved off of another part (or chunks of small rod stock) if you ask me....Technically the trimed elbow of bent rod stock/stretched sprue is a quarter 'ball'.
 _GOTOTOP