_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Academy BF 109 in 1:72
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi All.
This is my just finished BF109 E-3 for the Duel In The Sky Campaign over on Aeroscale.
Its the Academy kit,built OOB and sprayed with Xtra Acrylics.
The decals come from Eagle Cal and it represents the mount of Major Hans "Assi" Hahn,,late 1939 early 1940.
This and my previous build (the Revell Hurricane in Finnish markings),are a bit of a turning point for me,as Im finally starting to get some panel line washes that Im happy with.Not totally,but I believe Im finally starting to get somewhere with them.
Not the best kit in the world,and not one of my better completed models,but all in all Im pretty pleased with it.
Loads of room for improvement though, and as with every build I learnt a bit more on this one.
The photos arent brilliant.I will try and take some in what natural light nature decides to give us this weekend.
Heres the best pics from today.Comments and advice for future builds welcome as always.

Nige

EDIT
yeah yeah,,I know the props backwards.Ive changed it

Dont build it as per the instructions or you'll make the same mistake
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 02:42 AM UTC
Good to see that your washes are working out Once you manage to get to grips with something like that you never look back (famous last words )
Apart from the prop I think that the intake, on the port engine panel, is on the wrong way as well? The spliters should be horizontal I'm sure
Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi Mal.
Maybe the fins on the air intake are wrong,,but thats the only way the intake would fit.It wouldnt surprise me if Academy have got it wrong though,the propeller assembly being backwards for example,and the cannons are way too low down on the cowling,which i didnt realise until the cockeral decal wouldnt fit and i had to trim it.
Yep,,Im finally getting the hand of washes I believe.
Isnt it strange.Less than a year ago I would have been absolutely over the moon to have produced a finished model of this quality,and now Im not happy with it
I suppose thats down to both progress and the quality of builds/encouragement that the kitmake group of sites has given me.
Be interesting to see how my builds look this time next year
Nige
almonkey
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 01:30 AM UTC
nige heres a pic of a 109-E3 intake,from here http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/index1024.htm
although i did'nt notice it was the opposite way around on yours til mal "eagle eye" pointed it out!
 _GOTOTOP