_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Planning my first Diorama
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 01:35 AM UTC
I have always intended to build a diorama, or 2 and seeing Keiths Dioramas at Telford again has made me more determind than ever. I know what I want to do but my first stumbling block is the figures. For me to have any chance of finishing it for Telford I will need to do it in 1/48, but I haven't a clue where to get figures in the scale.

I will be showing an SOE Lysander dropping off an agent and picking up 2 RAF crew. I don't mind altering poses, but I will need some pictures of French partisans from WW 2 and I will also need a 1/48 push bike or French car or truck from the era in 1/48.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hi Mal.
Jean-Luc seems to be quite up to speed on 1:48 diorama bits and pieces.
So far Ive managed to find a couple of 1:48 RAF pilot figures.
Probably not suitable for your SOE diorama but they look as though they will go quite cheaply on Ebay,,(unless all the Bulldogs start bidding!),and come in handy in the future.
RAF Pilot Reclining

RAF Pilot In Shirt Sleeves

The reclining pilot would look quite good on a Battle of Britain scene,,resting in the shade under a Spitfire wing waiting for the next scramble....oh oh,,now IM getting started,, :-)
Nige
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 03:08 AM UTC
Czech Master do some interesting RAF figures as well.
Hannants are listing quite a few.
As for finding photos of French Resistance during WW2,,that could be an interesting bit of research,I mean,,if you were involved in the resistance would you want your photo taken?
I have seen a rare photo of air crew with an old couple who were housing them as they travelled down the escape corridor. As you would expect,they were wearing ordinary civilian clothes.
I would imagine you'll end up buying a figure you like the pose of and getting the Milliput out Mal
Nige
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
Tamiya do a 1/48 Citroen Traction IICV car .
I'm sure i have seen a push bike somewhere in 1/48 but i can't find it at the moment, but i'll keep searching.
As for 1/48 figures, this is Hannants full list
Andy
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 04:45 AM UTC
Check out VLS they have some 1/48th scale options. Not sure if the availability or shipping will make them cost prohibative. They do have some a number of kits.

You can also look into Die-Cast vehicles. In 1/48th scale Corgi has a number of cars that might work. Venture outside the normal channels and you should find something.
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 03:20 PM UTC
Mal

This sounds interesting. You should try doing it as a shadow box so you can get the dusk effect, which would be nice for an SOE dio. Here is an example of one by the master of box dios, Nick Infield:

This is a scene from Casablanca.

Quoted Text

oh oh,,now IM getting started,, :-)
Nige

Nige I know what you mean. I have got an idea for a MIG - 15bis i'm building, it is the Tamiya 1/48 with the engine showing.

Ross
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:42 AM UTC
Thanks Nige I'll drop Jean-Luc a PM. Those RAF figures would be good for a potential other diorama which, if this one works out, I will probably do. As you suggest a battle of Britain scene would be cool and something that I have always wanted to do My reason for doing the SOE diorama is that while working for Doncaster council Countryside Service i discovered a link between the Referbishment of Lysanders at Doncaster airport and the timber from Sandel beat wood, nearby. After contacting Westlands I recieved some interesting info and bought a Matchbox 1/32 Lysander with the intention of doing a diorama for the visitors centre. I will eventually do it in 1/32 but I want to try my hand at 1/48 first, as there will be a lot less scratchbuilding

I'll check out Czech Master as well, thanks. Yep I imagined that I would have to bring out the milliput Your probably right about pics of Partisans so pics of French civillians are what I need, I don't think that they all would have worn berets I could include a female as well

Thanks Andy, I didn't know about the car and some of those figures may be usable Ta

Good idea Scott, I don't think that I would have thought about looking outside of "normal channels" and I'll take a look at VLS. If they have figures that would work I might stand the cost, or at least I might get ideas, thanks.

Yes Ross, the thought of doing a boxed Diorama had crossed my mind and is the only practical way of showing a scene at dusk or at night (unless I paint everything in shades of grey). A little out of my league, at the moment though, I think. I am trying to decide if I should show the prop spinning, as the engine wouldn't be turned off. I have never seen this done convincingly but it would add something to the dio. The figures around the aircraft would have to have their cloths blowing about as well. Done right this could add a feeling of movement, but if not done well it will spoil it.

I do have Bill Horans book on figure scratch building and painting and I would love to have a go at that. If I can get hold of some 1/48 scale heads I'll do it

Thanks guys.

Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 02:46 AM UTC
Youve started something here Mal!
I havent painted any figures since I was a teenager,but while searching around for figures for your diorama I came across this set on Ebay.
£7 including postage for 8 figures and a dog,,,bargain,,couldnt resist it.These will go really well with the 1:48 Tamiya Spit I picked up at the Aeroventure show!

Its going to be so good to have a dedicated modelling room when the house im buying completes,I'll be able to build some 1:48 as well,,and theres always the 1:24 Spit that I'll have the space to display!
All I need now is the time to build them :-)
Nige
 _GOTOTOP