_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Tamiya's F-16 Thunderbirds
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 12:36 AM UTC
I was wondering if some one could help me? I'm currently building Tamiya's 1/32nd F-16 "Thunderbirds" (that my wonderful girlfriend (Camogirl) bought me for Christmas last year) and I have had a problem with the nose cone.
I used the kit decals for the front nose section and could not get them to conform for love nor money leaving gaps in places and overlapping in others so I decided to mask off the white sections and spray it with Tamiya's TS-19 Italian Red to try and blend it out. Then disaster struck the Paint crazed in areas so I waited a while and sanded out the crazed areas and sprayed again this time in my haste (was trying to finish the kit for Newark Model show) I applied too much and this time the paint ran

So I decide to bite the bullet and made masking template of the area and tried to paint strip the nose cone and here in lies the problem. The damn paint won't come off i have tried the following methods but to no avail:
1. Dot4 brake fluid
2. Modelstrip

it has stripped some of the paint off and I don’t really fancy sanding the paint back as there are some faint raised lines that would be lost and I have heard that oven cleaner might work but I'm unsure whether to try this in case it melts the nose cone and I have to buy a replacement cone from Tamiya at £8-15 (what's that all about?)

Has anyone tried using oven cleaner or does anyone have any other suggestions on removing this Tamiya spray paint thats welded to the plastic worse than my mum’s porridge to a saucepan
 _GOTOTOP