_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Which Mr. Surfacer to use?
Hoss
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 96 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2006 - 01:46 PM UTC
I know I've seen it before but can't for the life of me remember what the advice was.......anyhow I'm trying to work on some seems on my Phantoms drop tanks and thought I would reach for the Mr. Surfacer instead of pullin out the green putty. The proble is the only stuff I have is Mr. Surfacer 1000 and it seems to be too thin for the task.
Perhas I simply need to continue to wrk with it building it up several coats before reching the desired results. So far I've gone over th seems twice with the stuff and upon filing I end up with a noticable seem....arghhh
Somebody help me to see the light cause I'm not gettin' it!
Dirk-Danger
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 252 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2006 - 09:11 PM UTC
500 is thicker and designed for bigger gaps but a useful alternative is super glue applied with a cocktail stick. Its big advantage is its dry enough too sand within an hour. If you try and sand mr surfacer before its properly dry it will pull it out of the seam/join/crack.

Lee

Hoss
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 96 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 01:21 PM UTC
Thanks Dirk-Danger for your input.....I have been doing some research and I have come to realize that I probably didn't give the stuff a long enough time before I tried to sand it thereby pulling it out of the seem. I also have been reading about the technique involving Squadron putty and removing excess with 91% alcohol before it has a chance to completely dry. I think I'll give it a try. I am just sort of playing around and brushing up on some various techniques with an old 1/72 Phantom kit from several years back. It is fun trying out the various tips offered by this site and others like it. Happy modeling, bro.
Hoss
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,349 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 02:18 PM UTC
use can medium CA for your seams. Typically if you use enough to 'ooze' out consistantly once sanded you never have to fill, but can always smear a bit on. Dries quick though so typically you put 'dots' all around with a toothpick(as it dries slowly in a drop form), quickly spread together and stick em! Just sand using the grit , not pressure and voila! Putty is a pain and I have built many a ship with hull seams over 24" without a drop of putty, nor ever used it on an afv barrel and you can NEVER see a seam.
 _GOTOTOP