TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Thoughts on the "Victory at sea" DVD set
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 12:46 AM UTC
I have been an avaid watcher of the ETO dvd documentaries. But last week I saw for the first time on PBS some of the Documentary "Victory at Sea". Even though my fortay is the ETO "Army", would it be worth my while to buy this documentary, even if it is mainly the navy? I only saw about 30 min. of it but it seemed to have got my interest for a moment.
your input is valuable to my choice on, to buy or not to buy.
Thank you.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 06:22 AM UTC
I still enjoy watching mine. I have the set on tape and DVD. If you shop around on line a little you can pick up the DVD's pretty cheap. Sorry I forgot where I ordered mine from as it's been a while but the set was under 20 bucks. The tapes ran me about 80 bucks years ago.

Now if they could or would scrape up the old "Silent Service" series, I'd be a happy old sailor.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 08:34 AM UTC
Are you talking about the old, black-and-white, Victory at Sea series? If it is, don't pay attention to any of the ads! You can get the whole thing on a 4-DVD set at Wal-Mart for $5.50! I bought it and I watch it avidly! I hope this helps! Thanks for your time.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 09:35 AM UTC
Like MEBM I got mine at Wal-Mart for $5.50. The only downside to them is that each episode kicks you back to the main menu, at least on my DVD, and you can't just watch them one after the other without input.

As far as the series itself I feel it's still one of the best documentary's ever made. Even if you're only interested in land action I think there is enough here to keep you interested. The music is outstanding.

Even if you pay two or three times the $5.50 price I think the series is worth it.