_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Best airbrush for under 200 dollars?
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,264 Posts
KitMaker Network: 254 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 07:10 PM UTC
I'm wondering if anyone can give ame an idea of a descent airbrush for under the 200 dollar mark? I would like something less complicated to use but does the job well.
I have been using spray cans for all of my builds and was just trying to stack out the market for an eventual purchase later on. I'm still going to continue with the cans until I can get comfortable with using an airbrush. Thanks.
panic
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 43 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 08:16 PM UTC
Hello,

I think this might be the wrong category for this topic. You should try the Airbrush or the Painting category.
I think the Aztek A470 series is a good versatile airbrush. You can change colors quickly. Clean up is quite easy and the performance is throughout good. I bought the A470 Set for 120 Euros. You get a full range of nozzles and different types of jars.

Stefan
Dirk-Danger
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 252 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 08:24 PM UTC
I would look at the Tamiya ones - Same manufacturer as Iwata (B. Rich Co. Japan) at a fraction of the cost. I picked up the Super Fine one from Lucky Models for about $100 delivered.

Lee
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 09:20 PM UTC
I agree with Lee. I have an Iwata HP-C Plus and a Tamiya HG SF. Both are great airbrushes and at $100 the Tamiya is a best buy. By the way, I also have an Aztec 470. It is a pain in the #$@%. Control is a hassle, cleaning completely is near impossible and the nozzles have to be taken apart before every spray job. It is now in the junk drawer.

Don
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 09:36 PM UTC
For 30 years I have used Badger 200, Passche VL, an Aztek and own an Iwata Eclipse.

For my money all you need is an Aztek. Their ease of use and performance can not be beat! If you need finer lines than their tan head can deliver, have an Iwata or something else standing by, but I don't use my Badger or Passche since using Aztek.
MGard
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:25 PM UTC
Charles,

After seeing the incredible work you do without an airbrush, do you really need one??? Anyway, I use the Badger 200, 150 and 100 and can recommend any of them. All retail for under $100. Keep up the great work.

Mike
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,264 Posts
KitMaker Network: 254 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Charles,

After seeing the incredible work you do without an airbrush, do you really need one??? Anyway, I use the Badger 200, 150 and 100 and can recommend any of them. All retail for under $100. Keep up the great work.

Mike

Mike you're too kind. Maybe not but everyone has been telling me to get one. I understand it will save alot of spray can expenses. I assume it does. Also, a good thing, as I understand you get to adjust for finer spraying of certain areas, which is a good thing to have.

Everyone else thank you. I'll look into your choices that you have recommended.
wascally
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 21 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 08:32 AM UTC
I own an iwata HP-CS gravity feed and it does everything i need and a whole lot more, most of the others I heard mentioned here are great too. Up here in canada the Iwata is less than $200 sometimes much less

I've owned the Aztek and yes they are good but very light weight too much so for me, it never felt right and i did have some accidents from it being too light.

truth be told any decent quality (Paasche,Badger, Iawata etc) double action airbrush that feels comfortable in your hand will do most of what we need and more. Airbrush feel in use is a big part of this. things like gravity feed, right weight, being able to get spare parts etc are very important. Also dont just look in hobby stores, try art shops they sometimes have better prices.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 08:45 PM UTC
Definatly, i've own three airbrushes : aztek, badger 150 and now an sparmax dh-2.

Certainly the sparmax is the best one i have owned thus far. Precision is awsome, spray is very good, works awsome with my tamiya acrylics, and with enamels and laquer. I'd never go back to the other two simply because iam so happy with the product. Aztek imho was a piece of junk, those needles are crap and nothing more than a waste of my money. The badger was good, but gravity feed is easy to clean, and i like hte feeling better. If your going for camo, the dh-2 with its .2 mm nozzle will be perfect, look at my elefant in my gallery to see the soft camo i was able to do on my first use, or if its for other work requireing a larger cup, the .3 nozzle sparmax's will do the trick.

Were to get them? wwww.luckymodels.com
low shipping cost, no border hastle (decalre low invoive and a gift) and its at my home within 11 days when in stock. Also, get the braided hose its good, and the only thing that fits the airbush...

The airbrush cost me 50$US shipped, and about 65$ shipped with hte braided hose....

Cheap, good, BUY!
Frank
 _GOTOTOP