_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
MRC CH-53
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:38 PM UTC
Does anyone know anything about Acadamy/MRC CH-53 in 1/48th? Is it worth the $$$? I'd love to do one since I have so many fond memories of them buzzing our barracks at tree-top level at 3am. They really are a pretty cool aircraft.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 04:47 AM UTC
I have one in the stash and have just gotten in all of the paint I need for it. It's pretty high on the to-do list. I can't speak about how accurate it is, but I can say that it is HUGE. It should build up to one impressive piece of plastic. You might check over on Aeroscale or FSM's Helicopter forum as there are some pretty savvy chopper guys over there.

Here is one review that I found on it: CH-53 review
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC
Mother did one a while back. It comes out to be really big with the rotors. I believe it went together well, but I'll have to let him speak about it.

Jeff
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 12:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know anything about Acadamy/MRC CH-53 in 1/48th? Is it worth the $$$? I'd love to do one since I have so many fond memories of them buzzing our barracks at tree-top level at 3am. They really are a pretty cool aircraft.

If you have a Hobby Lobby around they probably have it and wait till they have a sale on models or get a 40% off coupon and use it
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 09:59 AM UTC
Yep this is a great little/big kit. Is it worth the money…it all depends on your thoughts of buying high priced kits. For me it was. It goes together very well, especially the 3 piece fuselage. The cockpit detail is pretty good for 1/48th and a good level of detail in the cargo bay area, unfortunately there are many ejection pin marks along the cargo walls. Some easy to get at while other not so. I wouldn’t sweat it as most of the cockpit and cargo bay won’t be seen once it’s assembled and buttoned up. If you build it with it’s tail folded in you’ll have to watch out in the beginning of the instruction sheet as there are holes that need drilling out doing the tail fold. Something I didn’t understand…the kit only came with 2 rotor support poles, so you’ll have to make 5 more using 1.5mm Evergreen rod. If you get the kit, I’d say you’ll enjoy it very much.

Joe

Oh yeah, Eduard just released two Photo Etch set for the 53E. One with cargo seatbelts and the other for it's interior, a sharp looking detail set.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 10:56 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice guys! I think I will use that 40% HOLO coupon for that. The trick is when! I just can't go buying my own Christmas presents can I?
 _GOTOTOP