_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
New Airbrush
Dmitriy_Li
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 10:42 AM UTC
Couple of weeks ago my Badger 150 passed away. So, I have a great excuse to buy a new airbrush. I'm looking for a "general purpose" brush (for detail work I'm going to use Iwata HP-B). So far I'm considering three brushes

Aztek 470
Badger 175
Badger 360

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:16 PM UTC
rotmistrov,

welcome aboard of the best site in the universe.

About that AB, I recently bought the Aztek 470 and I'm absolutely happy with it..... it does the things Iwant it to and......good too.

I think buying an AB is a bit of of a personal thing..... How does the grip feel, is it easy to clean, what does it cost vs the available budget...etc.

Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 01:07 PM UTC
I use the Aztek 4709 dual action and am comletely satisfied. The last post is correct, an AB is a very personal thingy..........take time to try a few for feel etc.
Do your research
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 323 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 01:45 PM UTC
I also own a A470, my first ab, and I do like it have had it for about 6 months now, Im still very much a rookie, the only complaint I have about it is I cant seem to get really fine lines with it, its probably just me, maybe someone has some tips to help me out there, but other than that it is great, very easy to clean, maintain, and handy to use, and comes in a very nice box with a nice selection of tips too.

Bender
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 06:13 AM UTC
Bender,

I think you'll find the answers in here !

Testors Hobby Guide

Good luck. If you have any questions left.....just shoot.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 06:27 AM UTC
Ok - two things - first of all - Eagle, Desert, and Bender have always given Aztek great marks so I wouldn't hesitate to agree with them.

Second thing - The Badger 175 is an awsome brush. I have used mine for a number of years and find it can do everything (except brush my teeth ).
There's the alternate route. If you Aztek I'm sure you'll be happy. :-)
PhilipBBT
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 03:14 PM UTC
I like the new Iwata Eclipse HP-CS, its the best airbrush I have tried in 30 years
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 04:30 PM UTC
I also enjoy using the Aztek A470.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 04:58 PM UTC
I'll toss my 2 cents in. I have a Badger 175 that I love. I got it when my 150 died and it's the only one I use.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 05:32 PM UTC
I'll put in my 2 cents worth.......I used the Azteks for about a year and I liked them....but and about 4 months ago I got a badger 175......and havn't touched an Aztek since............

I really like the Badger 175...........its is simply great...........

MrFritz
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 12:47 AM UTC
I'm new to airbrushing and have the 175 and the 470.........for a newbie I think the Aztek is definately a better choice, but since you have experience with airbrushes, the 175-7 Crescendo kit comes with 3 needle/nozzles and I think it can ultimately do more if you've learned very fine trigger control. The Aztek is easier for me to get consistent results and I love the fact that it can be used in single or double action capacity. It is harder to keep truly clean, and not as well built as the Badger, but the Aztek now has a metal version of the 470 that can be bought as well.

If you live by an AC Moore craft store, takes slodder's advice and do what I did:

Look for the 40% off AC Moore coupons on their internet site, or use a competitor's coupon (they take them no problem -- Joanne's Fabrics is the one I've used) for 50% off. I paid a total of $110 for the Crescendo 175-7 kit AND the Aztek 470 combined. This way, you can make your own judgement about which brush is better for you and get 2 brushes for the price of one.

Good Luck,
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 01:49 AM UTC
Just to give you another option, you could also look at the Paasche H single action airbrush. I've had mine for over ten years now and it's a great general purpose airbrush that can be picked up pretty inexpensive.

Somebody mentioned stores offering 40% off. If you live near a Michaels Craft store, they also run weekly specials in your local paper. In the Sunday paper you can find a 40% off coupon that can be used on any one item in the store. A good deal if your trying to get a more expensive airbrush. The paper here in Virginia Beach has one of these coupons every Sunday which is good for picking up models too.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2003 - 03:57 PM UTC
I only have experience with one air brush but I like it. It is the aztec 470. I don't have anything to compare it to but it seems to keep me happy.
 _GOTOTOP