_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
compressor troubles
rotATOR
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 09:00 PM UTC
I have a problem with my Iwata Power Jet compressor. The compressor is supposed to fill the reservoir to 60 PSI of air. When I begin to use the air in the tank and it reaches 40 PSI,the motor then is supposed to kick on and bring the PSI back up to 60. Here is/are the problem(s). Firstly,the reservoir will only go to approx 56 PSI before the motor turns off. Then when I go to use the AB,it sounds like the motor wants to kick in after just a few PSI of air is used. Its hard to describe but it almost sounds like a cat purring,sort of "whurr,whurr,whurr",like the motor just baaarely wants to kick on.It continues to do this until it gets to about 44 PSI then the motor kicks in and fills the reservoir to 56 PSI. I think the pressure switch is messed up but I am not positive. I have checked for leaks and there isnt any. I have run the compressor, filled the tank with air,and everything is fine.But as soon as I press the trigger on the gun,the motor tries to kick in. Anyone ever have this problem before? Does anyone know where I can get a new pressure switch? I never did send in the warranty card Thanks for any help you can give
Oshamo
Visit this Community
Frederiksborg, Denmark
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
Hi!

If your compressor is similar to my Hansa, you just have to take the shield of the pressure switch and locate the two screws. One is upper level (56 psi) - the other is lower level. Adjust lower level, and the problem should be solved.

Regards

Oshamo
Oshamo
Visit this Community
Frederiksborg, Denmark
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi again!

I just read your post again. I think the problem is the pressure switch as it tells the motor when to kick on/off, but it seems like upper and lower level are adjusted correct. The motor should not be able to run until the pressure drops to under lower level. Could it be a bad connection in the wiring?
Anyway it should not be a problem to buy a new pressure switch but I donīt know where to locate one in your country as I live in Denmark.
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:50 PM UTC
Mike,

I have an Iwata Power Jet Pro Model IS-900. The parts list has an item labeled ON/Off Switch which has to be the pressure switch. Mine is marked, 75psi off and 55psi on. It is enclosed and does not have any adjustment. It seems the range of yours is off a bit. The part is #34. Try contacting Iwata through their website, http://www.iwata-medea.com/index.html , explain your problem and if it is the switch they may sell you one direct.

Hope this helps,
Don
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 03:00 AM UTC
I'd Agree...... See if there's adjustment first.... if not Contact Iwata......
I've rebuilt a few older cast iron cylincer (small shop type) Compressors...and have noticed that some of the newer ones have no adjustment in the pressure switches......
rotATOR
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
Thanks for the input guys.
Don--We have the exact same compressor however the pressure switch on mine says "40 on / 60 off". Maybe a different switch?I have shot an e-mail to that website and I am waiting for a response.

Lasse-I think the wiring is ok because when I turn it on,it fires right up and goes to pressure.

Matt-I fiddled with it but I dont think it is adjustable.

Hopefully it is the pressure switch and: A. I can get one. B. It is fairly easy to install.
Once again thanks for your help gentlemen Mike P.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:57 PM UTC
They're not difficult at all to install.... one airline and a couple of wires
 _GOTOTOP