TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Dogfight on History Channel
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi All,

Though the "Histrionics Channel" has been properly flamed in this post Filthy Lies, I must admit I am impressed with their new series Dogfight on Friday nights.

The CGI is incredible. The action enjoyable. Last week's episode about Gen. Robin Olds and his MiG ambush Operation Bolo was very well done (I attended Gen. Old's presentation at the USAF Museum in 1989. The program brought back memories and matches my books on him). I picked out a few nit-picky things but otherwise I'd rate it at 95% for accuracy and content.

The previous week's MiG Alley was also good (I haven't seen the first half yet!)

Give it a watch and if you see anything worth bantering about, here's a thread for it!
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:34 AM UTC
Oh, I really enjoy this show! As you said, the CGI, details, tactics, and full story is incredible!

Not to sound like a party pooper, but I do wonder though how far this series can progress though. I noticed that the show interviews the actual WW2 and Korean aces living today (which a lot of the top WW2 ones have died in test piloting crashes or from old age). So will DOGFIGHT cover Richard Bong, who died in a test jet plane 1950? How will anyone know what Richard Bong actually did? Will the show talk about WW2 Navy top ace pilots, many who have passed or died testing jets? And where will the show draw the line in "dogfighting?" The Libyan, Kosovo, and Iraqi jet engagements were "see first, shoot (missiles) first," not really dogfighting in the technical sense of maneuvering. I'm just wondering if DOGFIGHTS may run out of aces, dogfights, and Allied victories to discuss. Then will the show cover Axis aces and victories ?
Boiler
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:45 AM UTC
I liked the show a lot. I think there are a lot of topics they could do. I'd like to see some from the Axis point of view also. They could also do something about the Battle of Britain, only maybe from both sides.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:59 PM UTC
I thought its a good show too, I had to look twice before I realized the planes were simulations, good computer graphics
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 09:10 PM UTC
The History channel is really adding in CGI into a lot of thier shows to keep people interested and to put a new twist on stories.

I do like it and will keep watching. I too wonder how long it will last.
Removed by original poster on 12/06/06 - 05:34:42 (GMT).
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:32 AM UTC
Dunno. A bit one-sided, as usual, and has some distorted facts (claiming the F-4 was an excellent fighter stopped my heart for a minute). Not to mention it's a more enjoyable experience with flight simulations (Forgotten Battles, Lock On for example) -and the graphics are as good as in the TV...
sprue
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:36 AM UTC
I've seen a few and I love it. The computer graphics are fantastic, really a brilliant concept.

However, there was one episode where the ace talks about helping his wingman fly into the UN zone (?) by putting his aircraft's nose on the wingman's tailpipe and pushing him. Is this possible???
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen a few and I love it. The computer graphics are fantastic, really a brilliant concept.

However, there was one episode where the ace talks about helping his wingman fly into the UN zone (?) by putting his aircraft's nose on the wingman's tailpipe and pushing him. Is this possible???

Yep, there was a story of an F-14 Tomcat doing it with another Tomcat. A show called JAG replicated it once in an episode.
SmashedGlass
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not to sound like a party pooper, but I do wonder though how far this series can progress though. I noticed that the show interviews the actual WW2 and Korean aces living today (which a lot of the top WW2 ones have died in test piloting crashes or from old age). So will DOGFIGHT cover Richard Bong, who died in a test jet plane 1950? How will anyone know what Richard Bong actually did? Will the show talk about WW2 Navy top ace pilots, many who have passed or died testing jets?....

Most of the kinds of 'fights' that would make good material for the show where the pilots involved are no longer living won't be a problem to do on the show IMHO. While the pilot may no longer be alive, I'm fairly certain the stories of his combat experiences have been 'carved into stone' over time....Fighter pilots do like to talk. As for running out of material I don't think so; they'll just take things in a different direction. Reference the episode a couple weeks back:

"In this corner, the Yamato! The world's largest battleship! In the other corner, Taffy 3! .........NOT the world's largest battleship!"