_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
So what can a newb expect at Telford
_H_Dori
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 05:05 PM UTC
Ok this might be a stupid question but having never been to a model show let alone Telfords I was wondering what I can expect. Is it a really big place thats just gonna be filled with traders and models on show?

Is it worth getting a shopping list together?

Thanks guys

H
camogirl
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,045 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 05:26 PM UTC
Telford is split between three rooms (each is roughly the size of an aircraft hangar) two are traders and club stands and last year the third was the food court and the competition area. Its defintatly worth getting a shopping list organised (not that ive ever managed to stick to one yet when i go :-) ) Its a good day out and really enjoyable although the first year i went i ended up with sore legs from the amount of walking i did (several trips back and forward to the car).
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 06:22 PM UTC
Hi there

I've not been to Telford before, but for your info Hannats are offering 10% discount on orders placed b4 the show and collected there - i have ordered some stuff for collection, but intend searching the traders for bargins!!

I'm there on Saturday, See ya there

Andy
_H_Dori
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 06:55 PM UTC
Thanks Samantha & Andy

Looks like I better take a bigger car then ha ha.

Cool info ref Hannants I might well take them up on that. Eduard FW190 would be nice.

Now to the shopping list then, scriber set, paint mixing set, MPM HE177....etc

H
Sandy
Visit this Community
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC
Hi Howard , just put IPMs UK in your search engine and then go to the forum as a guest , click on Scale Model world 2006 and see item from Cat Woman she has posted a very up todate list of all the traders who are attendning this year , it will be all your birthdays in one . You will not be disapointed at over 20.000 models on display and nearly 90 clubs and same in traders from all over the world . Never mind the modellers you will meet it is truely International . Last year on my crib page I logged 19 different nationalities who spoke to me at my stand . cheers ian
_H_Dori
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 09:06 PM UTC
Holy cow theres alot going to this!!!

Thanks Sandy

I'm really looking forward to it.

Also it appears my local IPMS is Brampton which is only about 7 miles from me. Sadly they meet on the only night I can't do
Bigskip
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC
Is it wrong to be getting excited like a kid going on holiday??

I'll be the one looking like he's missed a nights sleep then driven for 4 hours to get there!!!!

Only 3 more long days at work to suffer through :-) :-) :-)
_H_Dori
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 01:12 AM UTC
Ha ha tell me about it. My girlfriend thinks I'm mad for getting so excited about getting up at 6 on a sunday just to look at plastic!!!

Bless her
camogirl
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,045 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 02:14 PM UTC
I suppose thats the good thing with my boyfriend he got me into modelling when i joined the air cadets. So he drives me to Telford every year for the last four and weve taken some of the cadets for the last two years. I'll try to come over and say hi to everyone at the stand but id didnt get chance last year spent most of it trying to keep cadets under control . I still get excited about it my mum and boyfriends mum think we're both nuts for getting excited about it.
Fazer1006
Visit this Community
entire network: 234 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 03:41 PM UTC
Hi to all going to Telford,
Nice to see other's getting excited about the show.
I started going with the Cleveland IPMS club & with my son (15) 3 years ago, & loved every minute!. My son loves the atmosphere & the banter with lad's (unfortunately no female member's yet!) although a few spouses arrive during the weekend.
Anyone going will not be disappointed as it cater's for all modellers.
attend & enjoy!
Mark
bydand
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 278 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 04:25 PM UTC
Hi Everyone,

Now I've got a lift sorted out and am using my car (long story) I'm taking my eldest son, he is really exited about going, this will be his first nationals but his third show, for everyone who was at Doncaster he's the little bald lad that tied to pinch the RC sherman :-) by driving it away

shopping list with that ammount of traders what's the point on trying to limit the spend (It is only once a year)

See you all saturday,

Craig
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 04:40 PM UTC
One word Massive .
Last year was the first time i had attended a model show and i was stunned at the size of it. There are so many traders, SiGs and club stands attending you need all day to see them and all that walking and spending is quite tiring :-) .
I'll be on the IPMS British Bulldogs stand both days, with my daughter Courtney (Yoghurt) (when I'm not shopping or sloping off for a fag with Lampie :-) ). So pop over and say hi.
Andy
_H_Dori
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 06:51 PM UTC
Thanks for all the replies guys and gals.

This sounds so good I really am quite excited ha ha.

Sadly I have to budget myself but I'm just gonna try and get as much as I can for the money.

H
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
Howard, Like samantha says it's worth getting a shopping list prepared but, like her, I have never stuck to it. I will be at our branch stand just about the whole time, although there is masses of stuff that I would like to buy I will just be after Colourcoats paint (funds are tight ) but the atmosphere is great and there is to much to see. Make sure that you get to see the competition. It's in hall 3, then you can come and see us, 'cos that's where we are. I garuntee you will be back in 2007.
Mal
_H_Dori
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 03:03 PM UTC
I started writing it last night, and I've already added to it as I remember things. Bar the kits I'd like to get a bunch of tools really. Especially now as I've just got my first ever resin and white metal parts through!!!

This is going to be great
 _GOTOTOP