History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
9th US Armored Div, 14th Tank Battalion
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 05:17 AM UTC
A Coy from the 14th Tank Battalion, 9th Armored Div at Remagen were the coy that had Pershings issued as part of the combat trials. Did this Coy also have easy Eight Shermans or just the usual 75mm and 76mm variants?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Des
AIRBORNEDAD
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hello DES,

My mom's uncle was with CCB and was wounded during the BULGE. I remember seeing some pictures of him and some other buddies when I was a kid standing around an M4A3. He was carrying a BAR and wearing a light colored German helmet, the same one I always played with when us kids played "Army" back in the 1970's.

Hope this helps,

ABD
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 06:12 AM UTC
Des, I have seen a photo of A M4A3 (75)w serving with 9AD 14TB crossing the bridge itself, so that is a confirmed! No luck on the easy eight though
Cheers
Brad
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,866 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 08:58 AM UTC
A WWII series called GI diary that had a feature on the Remagen bridge. I thought that there was video of 'E8 Shermans shown crossing. I'll dig it up and have a look.
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Des, I have seen a photo of A M4A3 (75)w serving with 9AD 14TB crossing the bridge itself, so that is a confirmed! No luck on the easy eight though
Cheers
Brad

Thanks Brad.

I have a Sherman M4A3 75mm with the late style cupola virtually completed. It just needs the weathering completed when I have decided the ground work and some crew which I seem to have amassed over the past couple of weeks.

I also have the Battle of the Bulge 76mm version from Dragon. Not looking forward to those tracks!!!

I have near completion the easy eight, also from dragon but want it to look correct to go with my Pershing, (still in the box)

there are 2 jeeps and a M3A2 halftrack to throw into the mix too so if the easy eight wouldn't look right then it can be depicted as a 6th US Armored Div. model on a different setting.

thank you very much for the info.

My easy eight is in the Armor/AFV forum, Easy Eight in sepia

PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A WWII series called GI diary that had a feature on the Remagen bridge. I thought that there was video of 'E8 Shermans shown crossing. I'll dig it up and have a look.

Thanks Randall. I look forward to seeing your info. Rest assured it will be very useful.

Des
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello DES,

My mom's uncle was with CCB and was wounded during the BULGE. I remember seeing some pictures of him and some other buddies when I was a kid standing around an M4A3. He was carrying a BAR and wearing a light colored German helmet, the same one I always played with when us kids played "Army" back in the 1970's.

Hope this helps,

ABD

Thanks ABD

Got the M4A3 75mm and a 76mm yet to finish, together with a Pershing, 2 jeeps and a halftrack. Just hoping to get it right to do it justice.

I recall playing Army myself when I was a kid then I did it for real for 15 years
Des
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 04:53 AM UTC
Ouch, I had forgot how "generous" they were with the video in the GI Diary series. I think I even saw a shot from Italy in the mix.

Sadly, the E8 that shows up is not near the bridge, and could be from any where. The 76mm tank shown crossing turns out to have VVSS suspension. It had markings, but the numbers are too blurry on my copy to read (old VHS tape). Still, I cannot think of a reason that the 9th would not have any 'E8 Shermans.

I had a look at the Pershing book, and did see that the tanks shown supporting the Pershings were 75 gun tanks. The video of the tank that destroyed the Panther in Cologne shows several M4A3's, all 75 by the looks of them. That was 3rd Armored though.

I say, go with your ideas. After the capture of the bridge, 9th put every thing they could across to support the bridge head.
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ouch, I had forgot how "generous" they were with the video in the GI Diary series. I think I even saw a shot from Italy in the mix.

Sadly, the E8 that shows up is not near the bridge, and could be from any where. The 76mm tank shown crossing turns out to have VVSS suspension. It had markings, but the numbers are too blurry on my copy to read (old VHS tape). Still, I cannot think of a reason that the 9th would not have any 'E8 Shermans.

I had a look at the Pershing book, and did see that the tanks shown supporting the Pershings were 75 gun tanks. The video of the tank that destroyed the Panther in Cologne shows several M4A3's, all 75 by the looks of them. That was 3rd Armored though.

I say, go with your ideas. After the capture of the bridge, 9th put every thing they could across to support the bridge head.

Thanks again Randall. Very helpful indeed.

I have a 75mm M4A3 virtually done. Just needs weathering and crew. That could go with my Pershing and I think the E8 will be depicting a 6th AD vehicle as I know for sure they had the welded on extra armour. You know yourself that things have to be right in your own mind or you'll never be happy with the end result even if it were a masterpiece.
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 05:01 AM UTC
I've been promoted to E-2

That calls for a Bud!!!

Des
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers
Brad

Brad,

I'm hoping this 75mm M4A3 will be good enough to depict one of the shermans you mention when it is finished.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 06:43 AM UTC
I have to agree, go with what feels right for your scene.